Factory/OEM backup camera with aftermarket headunit

PKinthewater

Hey guys, Recently replaced the factory sprinter NAV radio on my 2015 with an aftermarket Pioneer unit. Everything works great except for the function of my rear backup camera. The factory connection is a FAKRA video cable, so I just bought an FAKRA to RCA cable off ebay to plug into the Pioneers back-up camera port. Unfortunately, it's still not working...I'll put the van in reverse and it changes the screen as if it knows it in reverse, I just cant get a video signal. Local shop said I'd need an aftermarket cam now, but I'd like to think otherwise. :shifty:

3mbusa

Where is the camera getting its power -- you might check to see if it has power to it. Is it possible that the camera power came from the MB head unit?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I don't see any plausible story in which you would be forced to use an aftermarket camera. We know for sure that the signal of the FACRA is standard video (I have fed an alternative video source through it). It is just a matter of coaxing the camera to come on.

I vote for the power theory, too. It would be WAY too simple for Mercedes to have wired the cam to the backup light. :roll eyes:

(Actually, it CAN'T be associated with the backup light, since it is possible to turn the camera on while driving via a menu item on the Audio 10).

PKinthewater

This does make perfect sense, I'll see if I can tap into the power behind H/U or at least re-route wire in the back at the cam to the reverse bulb circuit. Thanks for the feedback!

3mbusa

My experience with the BU Camera on our 2009 E Class and the aftermarket on our Sprinter is that the camera is on anytime the key is on so when the head unit receives a signal (12v hot wire) from putting the car in reverse it is instant on -- no warm up period. :idunno:

PKinthewater

The camera had power still, I wasn't sure earlier if it had been disconnected in the HU swap, but the issue was due to user/installer error. Once I got back behind the dash again, I realized that I was plugged into the wrong RCA port on the Pioneer. (2 inputs + 1 labeled R.C. go figure) Everything works great now! For future reference, for anyone who has this issue, (because 3 stereo shops had no advice) I purchased a "Fakra SMB E 6002 male PLUG to RCA" off ebay. :cheers:

Might need to tell the pioneer unit where to get the signal from... Mine took 10 minutes digging in the menu of my x6500 unit

Mine has all inputs turned on and "camera polarity" as battery "video signal setting" I set all to auto.. Might be the same menu as yours after you check battery/power as others have suggested..

-ryan

Top Bottom