PDA

View Full Version : Gas Fumes coming in through front windows while on Freeway

greencapsule
05-24-2015, 12:49 PM
hi again-
So I just drove to chicago from nyc on a moving job.. At highway speeds of 70mph there is an unpleasant smell of diesel or exhaust in cabin while windows are rolled down. Strange as I thought fresh air would improve the situation but it makes it worse. When I have windows rolled up it gets much better but still a faint smell of diesel or exhaust. Then when i began to unload in Chicago I saw that there was a thin residue of grime covering the entire rear of the Sprinter. but only the rear , nowhere else. Still no major leaking underneath chassis or from gas tank but it does look wet... I have to drive back now to NYC.. Any help or tips appreciated. (hope I can bring this forum up on my iphone on the road..)..I first noticed the smell a couple weeks ago.. its only at high speeds.. Van runs fine and Gas mileage is the same..If there are any Sprinter between Chicago to NYC please let me know..!
Thx!!!
C

sailquik
05-24-2015, 01:03 PM
greencapsule,
There are vents down low behind your rear bumper.
That is probably were the smell/vapor is being pulled in.
When you open the front windows, there is a fairly strong vacuum (flow of air) from the back of the
Sprinter to the front.
At least there is a strong flow in all the Sprinters I've owned.
I have a partition just behind the front seats, with a curtain in the center 2 feet of the partition.
As soon as I open a front door window the curtain billows out and I feel a strong flow of air
from the back of the van.
Best bet is to keep the front windows closed if possible.
Use the blower fan and the vents in the top front of the dashboard to get your air.
Doing this pulls the air through the cabin filter so it's much cleaner and if all your seals are
good then it pulls the air from right below the front windshield.
If not, then you may need to use duct tape or plastic film to cover over the 2 rear vents so
the air pull @ the front windows cannot pull the exhaust and oil into the interior.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Therberg
05-24-2015, 01:58 PM
When I had a diesel exhaust type smell in the van it ended up being caused by a leaky injector or what some call "black death". I would pull the injector cover off and check to eliminate that from the equation.

Aqua Puttana
05-24-2015, 02:18 PM
When I had a diesel exhaust type smell in the van it ended up being caused by a leaky injector or what some call "black death". I would pull the injector cover off and check to eliminate that from the equation.
I agree. Ciprian also posted that he got strong fumes into his cabin when he had a leaking injector seal.

The grime sounds like something is causing the engine to run rich, or perhaps it's from incomplete combustion caused by a leaky injector seal. If it's leaking that much you will probably notice a chuffing sound.

As information, I had a marginal O2 sensor create noticeable soot which coated the boat trailer I was towing, but I don't recall any strong diesel smell.

vic

greencapsule
05-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks so much everyone.. I'll get this looked at when I get home.. Good to know about those rear vents as I was confounded as to why no fresh air coming in.. Windows are up .. I'll take a look at the seals and injector..
Thx again!
C

MikeHowe
05-25-2015, 09:01 PM
I agree with others that the exhaust fumes smell in the cabin, particularly with the window down, could be black death, it certainly was in my case so check the injectors. However you dont seem certain as to whether the smell is exhaust or fuel? You also mention the fine covering of grime on the back and that there is wetness underneath? I also had this happen in a seperate incident and it turned out to be raw fuel leaking from an injector, overspilling out of the injector valley and spraying out underneath and to the rear, causing a fine black grime on the back doors and producing a strong smell of fuel when travelling at speed. On both occasions the injector was at fault.

Mike