PDA

View Full Version : Can I drive 2000 miles home with these error codes?

PortlandSprinterConnection
05-22-2015, 05:37 PM
So I might have been driving down the road a few days ago, and saw a 2006 T1N at 260k miles from a used car dealer at the price of $3000.00..

It runs, it runs rich, I can't hear a turbo spooling, it drives gutless, but smooth. Luckily I had my green diesel tool in my sprinter and was able to read codes.

Codes were
P2091
P2359

If I'm not mistaken those relate to
Low/High boost
Something related to oxygen

At $3000, I checked for black death, it passed, and I just went ahead and bought it. It runs, albeit slow. I drove it 50 miles to the Columbus airport long term parking without a hickup.

Here's my question, who thinks it would be a really bad idea to drive it all the way back to Oregon before fixing it? Any thoughts? I have some hunches on what could be going on, but wanted other opinions.

lindenengineering
05-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Basically you are running with a low boost pressure and creating black smoke which is coating the O2 sensor making it send out corrupted signals.

Fix the boost issue and drive it like you stole it for about 30 minutes and most likely the O2 sensor will clear by itself and you will have no CEL's!
Then it will be grinsville al the way back to rainy Oregon.
Cheers Dennis
p.s. In Colorado which is like Oregon at the moment with rain peeing down!
Not as bad as Manchester in the UK though, where the kids are born with webbed feet!:laughing:
D

GaryJ
05-22-2015, 07:31 PM
First place to look is the turbo resonator. Once you have it off replace it with a $30 Dorman turbo resonator from Amazon. You might want to use the original O-ring though since there have been reports of the Dorman supplied O-ring failing after time.

Gary

syncro_G
05-22-2015, 10:09 PM
A story like this isn't complete without duct tape.
Find the leaky spot and wrap it up! Don't do the refined job until you get home :)

surlyoldbill
05-23-2015, 12:04 AM
Yeah, like everyone else says: you most likely have a boost leak somewhere between the turbo and the intake.

If it's a 2006, I think they had corrected the bad resonator by then, but I could be wrong. At $30 for a new one, it's a cheap gamble.
Look for oily spots on or near the turbo hoses and connections, sometimes the hoses themselves develop a crack, especially underneath where the oil pools up (requires removal or mirror, squeezing and looking for cracks). People here have done roadside repairs of cracked hoses with duct tape and zipties to keep it from expanding and re-opening.

Possibly some other sensor is telling the ECU to not run the turbo, but you would have a CEL if that was the case, I think. Maybe it's that oxy sensor, maybe it could be taken out and cleaned?