PDA

View Full Version : Scanner won't connect to the ECU

NS215
05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi All,

The heater matrix went on my 2004 311 cdi sprinter, so took all the dash out and replaced the matrix, built it all back up again, now the ESP, ABS and traction control lights remain on, so I have a couple of friends who are mechanics and get them to plug their scanners in to reset the lights, but neither of their scanners will connect to the ecu, any ideas on what I have done wrong ???? need them turning off so I can get my van MOT'd
Many thanks for any advice offered

Aqua Puttana
05-19-2015, 12:39 PM
First check fuse #5 in FB #1 Fuse Block #1 under the steering column.

Another less likely possibility (not certain if it will trigger the lights) is that the brake pedal got pulled up during the repairs which could screw up the brake switch adjustment. The switch is easily adjusted by holding the brake pedal away, grasping the switch plunger, and pulling it out until it stops. You will feel or hear some little ratcheting clicks as it pulls out. The switch is self adjusting from there.

How many things were disconnected during the job?

No communication with the OBDII port has sometimes been traced to harness problems, or incorrectly connected aftermarket devices (radio, fleet monitor devices, etc.). There is a speed sense wire that goes to the OEM radio. Sometimes that is incorrectly wired to an aftermarket unit. Anything tagged on to the CAN bus has the probability of interrupting communication via the OBDII port.

Good luck. vic

NS215
05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Sorry for the slow reply Aqua, but many thanks for your feedback, I'll check the things you mention and see how it goes, Cheers

NelsonSprinter
05-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Where are you?
What scanner was used? Was it used on your sprinter before ?
Very few scanners can communicate with the MB ECU

MercedesGenIn
05-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi there,
May just be worth initialising (calibrating the steering angle sensor) Lock to lock a couple of times with engine running should extinguish these lamps. Lets hope it is a simple as that. Possibility the ECU issue is a compatibility thing with the scanners as Nelson mentioned.

If no reset, have you have disturbed the steering wiring? check all is still in place and connected correctly there.

All the best Steve

Macmanboomer
05-24-2015, 09:11 PM
Where are you?
What scanner was used? Was it used on your sprinter before ?
Very few scanners can communicate with the MB ECU

I'm having issues connecting to a 2003 model using the Launch X431 scan tool with the specific Sprinter software. Anyone else ever use this scanner or have any input on it?

Syncro Steve
05-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Hi,
I have a VW LT35 van, I' in Australia, T1N Sprinter based, it has a VW 2.5 TDI 5 Cyl engine. The chassis, gear box and running gear is all Mercedes.
The ABS light on all the time.
I've tried connecting using the Sprinter specific software for the X431 diag. to access the ABS system ( the brake system is Mercedes ) but will not connect. The X431 works perfectly with my Landrover Discovey 2.
I use Vcds lite ( Vagcom )to access the engine ecu and immobiliser with no problems.

Cheers,
Steve.

Zfcyp
10-27-2016, 12:47 AM
FYI i am having no connection with the x431 other then to the ABS system. i am having a no start issue. cranks but no fire except once or twice. ran it for a while turned it off wouldnt start again.

knockarama
01-02-2019, 01:42 AM
Hey guys. Looks like I'm bringing a dead post back to life but I'll write here so no-one comes after me for starting a new thread about something old.

I have a mixture of things happening. I am in California my T1N was recalled (I was not aware until my registration came in the mail) After lots of unrelated research I finally got the recall done. Went to Smog place (12 miles later) his computer showed no response. It did not say "not ready" or "open monitors" it said something like "Failure to communicate"

I also have had for sometime the wheel speed and traction control lights come on after about 2 miles of driving.

I am going to try and get it smoged again tomorrow (Wed Jan 2nd 2019). I have low hopes that it will read.

If I do that brake reset thing will that also reset my ecm?

Thanks in advance all.

BTW I think this is my first post but I read posts here almost religiously. What an awesome community!!!

autostaretx
01-02-2019, 04:09 PM
No, a brake reset will probably not affect "can't communicate" (but it can't hurt)

You might drop in to an auto parts store and borrow/make use of their "free code scan in our parking lot" offer.
If their scanner can read anything, that means the smogger should be able to, too.

--dick

Aqua Puttana
01-02-2019, 04:29 PM
... I am in California my T1N was recalled (I was not aware until my registration came in the mail) After lots of unrelated research I finally got the recall done. Went to Smog place (12 miles later) his computer showed no response. It did not say "not ready" or "open monitors" it said something like "Failure to communicate"

IF your Sprinter is a 2004 some, maybe all, of those problems may trace back to the T21 Recall.

Some reading is here.
T21 Emissions Recall Notice
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

:cheers: vic

knockarama
01-03-2019, 04:33 PM
The scanners at multiple smog locations and the Mercedes dealerships do not communicate with ECU. The are "opening a ticket" and getting in contact with the regional engineer. Althoug stressful the service manager assured me that they will fix it no matter what...
I use my van a lot it is all fitted out for some backcountry living. My vacation is dwindling away while my ride collects dust at the dealership. When they find the problem and solution I will post here what I can find out.

superstardj
01-05-2019, 08:57 PM
The scanners at multiple smog locations and the Mercedes dealerships do not communicate with ECU. The are "opening a ticket" and getting in contact with the regional engineer. Althoug stressful the service manager assured me that they will fix it no matter what...
I use my van a lot it is all fitted out for some backcountry living. My vacation is dwindling away while my ride collects dust at the dealership. When they find the problem and solution I will post here what I can find out.
Please do ! i have the same issue on my T1N in california 2004
thanks