PDA

View Full Version : Is this the beginnings of Black Death?

smrl
05-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Just got my '06 with 175,000 mi on it... Peeked under the injector cover and the injectors look clean but I noticed this accumulation on the cover itself. Is this what black death looks like when it's starting? I thought it would accumulate around the injector stem...? Wondering if I should do something about this at this point. Check with soapy water? Re-seat with new seal/hold down bolts, or replace injectors altogether? Maybe check the other injectors as per http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149 while I'm at it?

MillionMileSprinter
05-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Yes, that last photo of the underside of the cover sure looks like black death. But I can't see in the wells around the injector. I can say that the injector return line has been replaced. Maybe the van had black death before you got it and it was repaired. Puttins soapy water in the wells would be an easy check.

NelsonSprinter
05-16-2015, 08:31 PM
The injector that was above the black stuff probably had a black death leak in the past, and all is repaired now. No need to replace anything, as loosening the injector bolts can lead to future black death as the stretch bolts are fine threaded into aluminium head and torque can be lost , so leave it alone , IMHO

Cheyenne
05-16-2015, 09:07 PM
And looking at the first 2 photos the cylinder head, injectors and wiring harness look far too clean for 175,000 miles. Could it have had the head and injectors, etc replaced to cure black death and the only evidence remaining is the old cover?

Keith.

smrl
05-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Yes, upon hearing this I did a bit of reconnaissance work and that appears to be the case! Tracked down the shop that serviced the vehicle and they described fixing what sounded like textbook black death! I just was fearing the worst when I saw it. Thanks much!

Nuke
05-18-2015, 09:28 PM
You could take some brake fluid and try cleaning the old crusty stuff off the cover.
Brake fluid tends to soften it up enough to clean it off.
Do it after a run so it is warm, works better when hot than cold
Mine has 188,000 and looks pretty much like yours
except where I started to get some initial spittle of the beginnings of BD on my #1 front injector
put in a new copper seal and cleaned it all up.
my #5 back one is now showing signs of starting to spit.
Oh well another weekend job
Back one might be harder to get to to see down the bore
and laying on a hot engine doesn't sound to comforting
guess I could throw a piece of carpet or something over it