PDA

View Full Version : Lug bolts stuck

Sprintermike16
05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Help! I have a 2003 2500 passenger van. I can't get the lug bolts off. I tried a lug wrench, nothing. Changed over to a cross style lug wrench and twisted the arm. Went to a 1/2" drive pneumatic impact wrench still nothing, tried an electric impact still won't budge. I at a loss. This isn't only one lug it's all of them. Also tried PB blaster. Are these reverse thread? Any help would be appreciated.

MercedesGenIn
05-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Hi there,

Take the biggest hammer from the box and clout the wheel bolts square on as hard as you can. Do this three times and then use a 3/4 drive breaker and 19mm impact socket with a slipper bar.

When you have them all off, electric wire brush the dome on the wheel bolts and clean up the dome sockets on the wheel, this often helps.

Standard removal here on the courier fleet in the UK.

Hope this helps

Regards
Steve

Sprintermike16
05-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks Steve I will give it a try. I had tried hitting them with a lump hammer but didn't swing too hard for fear of doing some damage.
Mike

NelsonSprinter
05-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Adding length to he lug wrench by putting a metal tube onto the handle will add leveraged torque to the bolts, and thin oil also helps, turn counter clockwise to remove

MillionMileSprinter
05-15-2015, 02:00 AM
You could also take the van to a place where they work on big trucks and ask them to loosen the nuts up with their super high powered air guns.
Ex: I needed to turn the trailer hitch tongue over to add an inch of rise to the front of the trailer. I could not, no matter how hard I tried, get the but off to turn the ball over. I happened to pass by a shop in Kansas where they worked on tractors and asked nicely if they could give me a hand. They happily obliged and got the ball off.