PDA

View Full Version : Smoke, tick, P0234, Overfueling (2004, 118, om647)

rafikiwilliams
05-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I posted a while ago with same issues, but rather than digging up an old thread I thought it would make more sense to begin a new one.

Symptoms:
-Dark sulfur rich smoke from tail pipe (too much)
-at max 14mpg (t1n, 118wb, fully unloaded)
-ticking when accelerating (possible injector leak?)
-code P0234 (overboost condition)

My thoughts are first the injectors, Ive read about the leak off test, will this tell me if an injector is overfueling? It seems logical to me that it would be an injector issue as 3/4 symptoms tie together in the injector diagnosis.

The P0234 is what throws me off, would this somehow be result of an injector malfunction or should I be looking elsewhere? From occasion I do get put into LHM from this code.

Video of "ticking" noise from inside cabin -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmygBavw9Kc&

NelsonSprinter
05-15-2015, 02:58 AM
An injector leaking air past it's copper seal under the black engine cover can give a "THICK'ing" sound and cause black death eventually. What colour is the smoke?

rafikiwilliams
09-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Update...

Just ran the leak off test, seemed everything was okay there. However I did notice something afterwards that has me thinking. First time I tried the leak off, I didn't clamp the return line tight enough and fuel came back through the lines and pooled a little around injector 4/5. I cleaned it up as best i could. Then ran the test again, all the injectors looked okay.

Then I reconnected everything, turned on the engine, and noticed bubbles forming around injector #5.

Now I'll preface this by saying I'm not the most mechanical person out there, but, after re-reading the reply by nelsonsprinter, am i correct in assuming that this could be my issue? That the seal of the injector is leaking air?

Also for reference: video of the bubbles, https://youtu.be/zarl9lvXMhM

video of smoke at cold start, idle -> 2000rpm, https://youtu.be/T3gr_khFRrI

I should also note that code P0234 no longer is present after I replaced the turbocharger/actuator...

rafikiwilliams
09-21-2015, 12:06 AM
just bumping the post back up to 1st page.. thoughts?

rafikiwilliams
10-17-2015, 01:50 PM
can anyone verify this is what injector seal leak looks like?

https://youtu.be/zarl9lvXMhM

Nuke
10-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Yes your #5 seal is leaking
I'd hit the hold down bolt with some Krilloil
Tap the appropriate Torx socket with a hammer a few times while normal operating temp
I'd do this a couple days
when ready make sure you warm up the engine to operating temperature
I usually do mine after driving 1/2 hour home from work
I'd just break her loose and then hit it with Krilloil again let it sit over night
and do another drive cycle
When you finally get around to it warm her up to operating temp then
make sure you work the bolt out by loosening it a turn and then tightening it up half a turn
The head is aluminum and if you try to take it out all at once, aluminum on the threads could end up jamming up the hold down bolt and you could end up breaking it off, then your screwed
Once you get the hold down bolt out, thread it back in some
and take her for a short drive to pop the injector out
You'll need a bright light and a good mirror to shine down the bore to make sure it is cleaned out.
I used 12Ga shotgun bore brushes and swab with break fluid to clean everything up
If you have the thick black sticky stuff, get a set of carving tools like curved picks or ceramic cleaning tools to scrape it out while it is still hot.
a 5/8 dowel with a small round 80 grit pad glued to the end is usually enough to true up the seal seat.
I usually turn the engine over before putting the injector back in just to make sure anything that might have gone down the hole is blown back out

14MPG and an over pressurization code seem like other issues
the injector seal might have some to do with your smoke
but other things combined with the poor mileage and code

good luck

rafikiwilliams
10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Nuke - thanks for the confirmation! I think this sounds a little over my ability/risk threshold. Just checked and seems both 1 and 5 have bad seals. I'll leave this to the guys at sun motors...

thanks again!