PDA

View Full Version : Double folding hinge for rear doors ???

Shortbus906
05-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Greetings,
Newbie sprinter owner...bought an 06 118 for daily driver/camping dirtbike hauling. Im a 28 year german car tech and am getting quite a test of intestinal and credit card fortitude in bringing a 190k sprinter back to GLORY. Love driving the thing and its def. a keeper.

My question... anyone know if the double folding rear door hinges are compatible with the 90 deg hinges that come on the 118... it would be great to open the doors ALL the way for loading and lounging...

Cheers...

MercedesGenIn
05-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Hi there,
You should be good to go there as the body is the same.
Good luck on finding them used in working condition. We use then all through the courier fleet as they are essential fitment but are a costly part from a dealership and used parts are rarely fully serviceable (position holding springs break),

You will of course need to change the check straps and add a body buffer.

All the best
Steve

hkpierce
05-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Don't forget the sliding door's open position - as there will be interference on your 118. Think you will not have both doors open at the same time? That is correct - when you think about it. But forget it once, another person opens the door or the door moves on its own because of the wind or tilt of the van and you will be lucky if only the rear door is damaged.

Shortbus906
05-13-2015, 10:02 PM
thanks so much all for the input on the door hinges. DIDNT even occur to me about the spacing between slider and right door. MAYBE the guys in white coats in Yermany know best and did not put them on the 118 for a reason...down the road perhaps. SOOOOOO many other things todo..

Cheers all

Matt

Bookmobile
01-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Heya. I also have a 118 that I love dearly. The right rear door has the double folding hinge but the left (driver's side) one does not (I bought it that way second-hand). I've wanted to get the left one changed over to the double folding hinge as well so they will both swing back all the way, and it was my understanding that this was possible. Back at the end of September I was rear-ended at high speed while sitting at a red light, so I asked the place that was doing the body work if they could go ahead and change the hinge as long as they were replacing the rear doors and I'd be happy to pay for the part. A week or so later they told me they'd checked and that wasn't possible as the part did not exist and was never made for the left (driver's) side. I thought that was BS, but I didn't argue since it wasn't a huge deal. This thread and others seem to support the BS theory. So here's what I want to know: 1.) Were they right, and am I just out of luck? 2.) If they were not right, where can I find the hinge I need? Will I need to find a used one? Will a new one work on my old 118? Thanks so much!

autostaretx
01-08-2016, 12:52 AM
The 118 can accept the longer wheelbase's hinges.
Yes, they're available for both sides
All you have to do to avoid the sliding door issue is put a taller rubber bumper on that side of the van (or closer to the rear, or add one to the rear door itself so the two "stack" to provide the extra clearance).

Oddly enough, both the 2004 and 2006 parts catalogs only give one hinge number: 05104378AA ... for all wheelbases.
(and they also list the magnetized rubber bumpers that go on the exterior side walls to hold the doors open)
I've looked at the two styles of hinges, and the 270 degree hinges are different.
You used to have both styles, and you saw (and noted above) the difference, too.
All four hinges are the same, so you don't have to worry about "upper" and "lower" nor "right" and "left".

The only reason i've never swapped the hinges is 'cuz i didn't want to fight the job of getting the paint corrected.
There's a forum member selling parts (riskydnb) ... and i think he quoted me a price for them a couple of years back.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27092

--dick

ECU
01-08-2016, 02:00 AM
I thought about this when I first got mine. But I've decided that 180 degrees is enough.

cahaak
01-08-2016, 04:15 AM
You should be able to find the hinges at a salvage yard. I got a couple from Kim at R&T salvage outside of Joplin, MO for cheap. Other places will have them. They are quite expensive new. I think mine were $10 each and painted white!

Chris

Aqua Puttana
01-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Dorman

http://www.partsgeek.com/z93z9p8-dodge-sprinter-2500-door-hinge.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=mc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Dodge+Door+Hinge

Dorman offers quite a few Sprinter parts now. So far the reviews on the Dorman turbo resonator and tail light units have been good.

http://www.dormanproducts.com

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=parttype&year=2004&make=Dodge&model=Sprinter%202500&parttype=Door%20Hinge%20Assembly&origin=YMM

vic

Gaspiping Sprinter
01-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Dorman

http://www.partsgeek.com/z93z9p8-dodge-sprinter-2500-door-hinge.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=mc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Dodge+Door+Hinge

Dorman offers quite a few Sprinter parts now. So far the reviews on the Dorman turbo resonator and tail light units have been good.

http://www.dormanproducts.com

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=parttype&year=2004&make=Dodge&model=Sprinter%202500&parttype=Door%20Hinge%20Assembly&origin=YMM

vic
If you live in the snow belt where salt is used in winter then your hinges will eventually rust although they are either painted or powder coated and when you replace with anything but OEM and you get them powder coated again ( which includes drying in a very hot oven) they will fail in no time when using them on the back doors . Bought the OEM one and had it powder coated and it has been three years no problem .

Catastrophic_Failure
06-02-2019, 01:04 AM
Hello all

Late to the party

But just bought an 06 118”

Just to be clear these “double hinges” allow the doors to swing open 270 degrees from closed?

Thanks

Joe

RJV
06-02-2019, 01:19 AM
Approximately 270*, yes. The outside surface of the rear doors will swing all the way around to meet the outside surface of the sides of the van. There are rubber bumpers and magnets to keep them from metal on metal and to hold them in place.

Catastrophic_Failure
06-02-2019, 01:39 AM
Thanks
The above post shows a link to an outfit that sells them for $117 each.
That’s a lot of money

Is it true that they were standard OE on T1N’s with the exception of the 118” because the right door might come into contact with the sliding door?

If so, and I’m willing to take the risk on making contact, i could perhaps find used double hinges?

lindenengineering
06-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Well why not buy good used?
Dennis

autostaretx
06-02-2019, 02:35 AM
Correct ... the 270 degree hinges were on everything *except* the 118" wheelbase.

As noted in the thread, just putting a tall rubber bumper on the slider side should prevent a door "acci-dent"

--dick

Catastrophic_Failure
06-02-2019, 02:59 AM
Ok that’s great information

I just found the dorman hinges on Amazon

One seller had them for $54 each. But of course they only had one in stock

Thanks again