PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid change or drop pan?

labudski
05-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Traditionally I have only drained and refilled tranny fluid. just pull drain plug, and measure how much was drained then add new accordingly. I see in some write ups that people are dropping the pan and replacing filter and gasket.
My thought is this... and it may only apply to circumstances similar to mine...
-If the pan isnt leaking - dont look to make problems.
-my t1n has 25k miles - so a partial fluid change should be ok and is better than nothing?

Thanks for any feedback!

Aqua Puttana
05-12-2015, 09:24 PM

Thanks for any feedback!
Since you asked...

I hear you with pan drain only on other vehicles, but the Sprinter NAG1 seems sensitive to fluid condition. Personally I only change the filter every other service. I always drain the pan and TC.

A pan drain is somethin', but less effective than a pan drain with Torque Converter TC drain.

Do you mean 25,000 miles total, or since last service?

If 25,000 miles total I would wait until 40,000 miles then do the pan/TC drain with filter change. That way you renew the fluid and get the filter which saw the original crud out of the picture. I would then go with 40K service and every other filter.

If 25,000 miles since last service and the filter was changed last time I would go until 40k and then drain the pan and TC. No new filter.

I go for between 50 - 60,000 mile intervals, but you sound like you want to be more conservative.

:2cents: vic

Ciprian
05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
I always drop the pan, replace filter and gasket and drain the torque converter every 60k. I am gathering parts to do it for the 12th time next month.

labudski
05-12-2015, 09:43 PM
as far a draining the tc. is there a way to make sure it is filled... I hear running a dry or less than full tc is really bad. also is there a gasket or use a bead from a tube? Ive heard of leaks after remove/replacement of the pan?
THX

pfflyer
05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
I always drop the pan, replace filter and gasket and drain the torque converter every 60k. I am gathering parts to do it for the 12th time next month.

You must be doing something right. I found out after the fact, my first transmission service the dealer doesn't drop the pan and drain the torque converter. They don't on the car side either. Called the MB corporate and the person I talked to said it is not called for as a standard procedure. It doesn't seem right to leave that percentage of old fluid unchanged.

Aqua Puttana
05-12-2015, 10:17 PM
as far a draining the tc. is there a way to make sure it is filled... I hear running a dry or less than full tc is really bad. also is there a gasket or use a bead from a tube? Ive heard of leaks after remove/replacement of the pan?
THX
No leaks from my 4 or so changes and I reuse the rubber pan seal as intended.

There's all kinds of stories. Some people worry about the tiny percentage of fluid left in the lines. Others swear that a full flush by removing hoses to introduce the new fluid is necessary. Don't over-think it.

The pump will refill the TC. Do these people with problems start the engine and head right away to a freeway while squealing tires all the way to the ramp? Normal driving after the fluid refill will not cause problems.

I did forget to mention that you should replace the electrical connector body while doing the filter change.

:2cents: vic

smiller
05-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I did forget to mention that you should replace the electrical connector body while doing the filter change.
I skipped that last go-around but will catch it next time. What is involved in changing the connector? (meaning the internal connection to the transmission) Does it just plug in somewhere on the valve body, or ..?

labudski
05-12-2015, 11:10 PM
what are you guys using for fluid - the mopar atf?

Aqua Puttana
05-12-2015, 11:22 PM
I skipped that last go-around but will catch it next time. What is involved in changing the connector? (meaning the internal connection to the transmission) Does it just plug in somewhere on the valve body, or ..?
The external harness plug connector. It's not a big deal, but the connector bolt that fastens to the circuit board needs to be treated gently.

This may not be the best thread for info, but it was an early hit on the list from my search.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29721

Added:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19076

I buy Shell 134 in case lots from my local industrial lubricant supplier. It carries the MB spec needed for the Sprinter NAG1 transmission.

vic

Ciprian
05-13-2015, 12:14 AM
I use shell atf 134. It is one of the fluids approved by MB. You need to find a local shell distributor and buy it by the case though. Last case I bought was around $70 for a case of 12 quarts.

You will need 8 quarts for a complete change.