PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter P2503 Gear Ratio Code

avasilyev
05-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone

2005 Sprinter 2500

I've been cracking my head on this code trying to figure out what's causing this error. Van goes from 2nd to 3rd gear and losing power and almost trying to jump. This is around 40mph and after that kicks into a limp mode. After turning off keys and restarting it goes back to normal until it reaches 3rd gear.

Here's what's been done to the van

Rebuilt transmission & TC
New solenoid plate

Tried different TCM & crank sensor, but no lock

Old TCM was giving less than 5 volts on solenoid supply (should be around 14V)

Van has a short somewhere as its draining the battery, i'm still trying to figure out what's shorting it

Any suggestions? Thanks for advance!

jmoller99
05-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Almost all the wiring for the transmission/TCM is under the the drivers seat (NAFTA Sprinter). Is there a problem there? I recall some people finding that they had to resolve issues dealing with mouse infestations under there (I guess Mercedes uses wire covering that mice really like the taste of).

There are also places where the cable harness sometimes develop shorts (in the engine compartment). There are places in mine where I have made changes as a preventative measure.

If you are in an area where they salt the roads, there is a place under the fuel filter where the harness is attached to a support bar that tends to get spiky as it gets rusty (potential for all manner of unexplainable errors) - in that case, you remove the wire ties, wrap with electrical tape and then put a 1/8 inch rubber around the cable and re-wire tie in place.

When I got my 2002, I had excessively poor electrical connections at the fuses and the relays (both under the drivers seat, and under the the steering column). I also ended up going thru the sensor connectors at the front of the engine and the connectors under the dash console (there are quite a few there). Cleaning all of these (using 200 grit sand paper on fuse and relay contacts) with spray electrical contact cleaner (available from auto parts stores) made a huge difference.

Cleaning things was time consuming, but I had to do a process of elimination to find everything.
Problems may stem from some unrelated signal that caused the computer to get confused and throw an error that really is not the real problem at all.

Please add your location (city/state) and model of Sprinter/Wheel Base to your User CP (in the blue bar). It really helps a lot.

avasilyev
05-16-2015, 07:13 PM
I checked wiring under the seat and it appears to be ok (i'll have an electrician take a look at it next week)

New codes came up saying something about water in fuel sensor and MAF Sensor. We'll take a look at it

Sprinter is located in Seattle Area, thanks for your help