2014 Winne Era

I have a 2014 Era 170X and want to add an inverter to power my outlets and microwave while driving down the road as not to have to turn on the gen set. The vehicle will be charging the batteries as I am driving. Can anyone help in making this happen? Inverter size/brand and where to place it. Thanks in advance for any help.:thinking:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Doesn't already have an inverter???????????? You should be able drive and power some AC devices with the inverter.

oilman

When I had my 2013 70x I mounted my inverter behind the microwave. There was enough room back there to put a shelf to mount it on.

The 4 screws on the front micro cover are all that hold it in.

As far as the inverter I used this one. It was 1000 watts and basically useless. It would not run the microwave. This was my fault for not researching properly.

On my current 70A I will soon be adding a 2000 watt Pure Sine inverter. I have not decided on a model yet.

Old Crows, The ERa does not come with an inverter and as far as I know it is not an option

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Thanks Oilman......thinking an inverter would be standard fitment on an Era. It needs one.

Oilman,
How did you connect the inverter and did you need a pro to do it? What can you run with 2000 watt inverter going down the road?

Last edited:

oilman

For me I expect the 2000 watt to run the microwave and hair dryer. ---Not at the same time--

I wired the 12 volt side on my 70x directly to the battery I followed the recommendations in the inverter manual for wire size and length. I also used the appropriate fuse and located it as close to the battery as possible.

For the 120 volt side I DID NOT tie into the existing coach wiring. I simply added an additional Inverter Powered outlet. I reasoned this was the safest way for me with my limited knowledge of wiring.. And after reading the article that Hein linked to Im glad I did it that way!

Last edited:
If there is anyone else out there that has any comments or ideas about the subject please feel free to comment. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4wheels

What can you run with 2000 watt inverter going down the road?[/QUOTE]

Just NOT a microwave ! The smallest microwave is 700 watt ( cooking power ) It is 1350 watt at 110 volt and it draws about 110 amps at your 12v battery . ( people often think that if a microwave is 700 watt - then it is 700 watt at 110 volt , and if it is a 900 watt - then it is a 900 watt at 110 volt . No - it is not )
110 amps is a big load for your alternator , while driving down the road . Yes your alternator is 220 amps , but at 110 amps the load is just huge . It feels on engine like 5x more vs. towing a trailer . The belt ( you can see it ) will not be happy , you will see pieces of rubber dust around the belt , it's life will be shortened and your alternator bearings will have to be replaced after a very short period of time ! ( do not ask me how I know now how to change bearings in 220 amps OEM alternator :lol: )
So , why not to turn on GEnset and run a microwave ?

I am the only one that drives wife don't and if we are going down the interstate and I want something warm I would have to pull over somewhere and start the generator. I use to own a class a allegro and there was a gen start switch at the driver's area. Just want it for my convienence. Someone on another site recommended I have a gen set remote switch installed in the cockpit.

Top Bottom