PDA

View Full Version : Electrical system... in steps...

veggiePNW
05-11-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm building out a T1N and will eventually look to include solar and batteries to run fan and phones / laptops. For now, though, I'm just looking to add a few batteries and just charge them off 120V when its available for short trips.

Thoughts on golf cart batteries (looks like ~$400 for two, yielding ~2000Wh) vs. goal zero Yeti 400? I'm guessing the Yeti might be easier to integrate into a system being plug and play, but clearly pay for that with smaller battery for the same cost. Seems like golf cart chargers are around $300, though, so it's about $700 for that system versus $460 for goal zero. I don't think we'll need the extra capacity... just running some lights and fan - we can charge small electronics while driving easily enough.

Any design tips for laying out the DC system downstream of the battery? I figure take output from the Yeti into a fusebox and circuit out from there?

jmoller99
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM
I have golf cart batteries in the back of my Sprinter. I bought the 220 amp 6 V batteries from CostCo for less than $100 each. I have a trickle charge while driving (diode and 20 ohm 10 watt resistor in series, run from a relay that provides power only when the engine is running). I have an onboard 120V charger for normal charging.

The Charge cycle for Deep Cycle batteries is not the same as engine starter batteries so, if you want to charge from you alternator, you have to work out what makes sense for the type of battery you have. You can ruin AGM batteries very quickly with the wrong charge profile.

My wife's Mobility scooter and power wheelchair use AGM batteries - I recharge these using a Sine Wave inverter on the 12-14 VDC from when the engine is running and a charger designed for that type of AGM cell (24 V) that plugs into the inverter.

I switched out the Stock 90 Amp Alternator for a 150 Amp alternator,

veggiePNW
05-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks jmoller - what do you use as signal to the relay? Where do you store your batteries? Are they AGM?