PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner problem only after sitting in hot sun

harner
05-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Have a 2005 sprinter, that occasionally has issues with the air conditioning.

When it is fresh is the mornings or parked in the shade the AC works fine.

If the temps are over 85* (F) and the sun shines on the dash while parked, the A/C does not work. Blower works, compressor will not kick on. If I use a sun shade, it can usually avoid the problem.

The A/C will not restart, unless the van interior is cooled off, and the van must be turned off and back on for it to work.

Hope you have some experience in diagnosing this issue.
Thanks for the help,
Robert

Dougflas
05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Does the center of the compressor turn? The HVAC control head has had bad relay connections. There is a guy on ebay that repairs these heads for $100.00. also, dennis from lindenengeering has brought to our attention of a bad wire from pin 12 of the head to the compressor. He suggested to run a new wire.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2006-DODGE-SPRINTER-Temperature-Heater-AC-Control-REPAIR-KIT-We-Install-/230749151497?hash=item35b9b8a109&vxp=mtr

harner
05-12-2015, 01:18 AM
thanks for the reply Dougflas. When it is cool the A/C completely works normal and fine, it is only when it is hot.

I did find a thread on here about the not working in 90* and it was mentioned about changing the cabin filter, we had done that, but we went ahead and replaced it again today. As for the freon level, we still need to verify that, but I wouldnt think that would be the case. Since we can run the A/C from the morning all day without turning it off in the heat and it continues to work normal, I would think that the freon level is correct. Now, if we stop at all, and turn off the van for a short period of time, with the sun coming in the front dash, the A/C will not work. Sometimes if you stop and turn it back off, and immediately restart the van it will work, sometimes it wont. If you stop for a short period of time in the shade, it will usually resolve and at van restart the A/C will work again, and continue to work as long as the van is not turned off.

This truly is a problem only in the heat of the day, if parked with the sun coming in the front dash at van start up the A/C will not work. IF we put a sun shade up in the window we can usually prevent the problem. Otherwise the A?C works completely fine and normal.

cuda 1
05-12-2015, 02:10 AM
I live in Naples Fl. and I'm having the same problem 2005 .

Dougflas
05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
You might try to put a test lamp at the compressor plug and see if you have 12volts there. You may also have a marginal operating clutch. Try tapping it with a screwdriver handle while running and see if it pulls in.

harner
06-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Just an update to this question.

We replaced the cabin air filter again, and so far the A/C has been working.

Cant believe this was the only reason for all the trouble.

Thanks for all the help. It was a simple fix.

glvu
07-09-2017, 04:53 AM
I have the same problem with my 2003 with 250k. It would work fine in the morning and everning but if it Sat in the sun it would not work. Today and yesterday the temp was above 100 degree and it sat in the sun with the windshield visor but the ac clutch did not engage when started the van. I found that if spray water on the ac condenser and restart the engine the ac clutch would engage and the ac blew cool air. Anyone know why this happened.

Aqua Puttana
07-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Just an update to this question.

We replaced the cabin air filter again, and so far the A/C has been working.

Cant believe this was the only reason for all the trouble.

Thanks for all the help. It was a simple fix.
I know that this is an old post.

A dirty cabin air filter or any other restriction in air flow can cause the evaporator coil to ice up. The compressor runs, the cabin fan makes noise, but the cooling is blocked. Enough down time will let the ice melt. Proper operation can return for the next operation until conditions cause the coil to ice over again.

Icing of the evaporator coil can also be caused by low Freon charge.

:2cents: vic

Midwestdrifter
07-10-2017, 07:44 AM
I have the same problem with my 2003 with 250k. It would work fine in the morning and everning but if it Sat in the sun it would not work. Today and yesterday the temp was above 100 degree and it sat in the sun with the windshield visor but the ac clutch did not engage when started the van. I found that if spray water on the ac condenser and restart the engine the ac clutch would engage and the ac blew cool air. Anyone know why this happened.

A/C system overpressure can cause the clutch to kick out, same as underpressure. Check the charge level, and confirm you are getting good airflow over the condenser.

Another cause of compressor intermittent issues is the solder joints on the head units clutch relay. They can crack, and (especially when hot) they prevent the clutch from engaging. If you do a search on this forum there should be a couple of threads about it. Pretty easy to fix with a soldering iron.

lindenengineering
07-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Circuit board in the control head has a fault.
Heat is affecting the circuitry when hot and not sending a full signal to the A/C clutch.
Common problem....
New control head is $450
Dennis

tvennetti
07-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I had the same problem so I bypassed the control board switch. Spliced a wire into the line running to the compressor ran it to the battery (with inline fuse) through a toggle switch which I installed in the van. Working good so far.

Dougflas
07-13-2017, 12:10 AM
A careful resoldering of the AC control head may repair this problem.