PDA

View Full Version : T1n axle ratings

daytonabeachbum
05-11-2015, 03:00 PM
I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm asking the question in the correct area. I am considering buying a 2006 Sprinter based RV a Roadtrek. It has a gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of 8550 pounds. It has a front axle rating (GAWR) of 3430 pounds. It has a rear axle rating (GAWR) of 4160 pounds. The total rating of both axles added together is only 7590 pounds. My question is how can the vehicle gross rating be higher then the weight the axles are rated for? I will try to include the picture of these ratings. I hope someone can answer my question, thanks in advance.

sailquik
05-11-2015, 03:26 PM
daytonabeachbum,
Very interesting Sprinter you are looking at.
The capacity information you copied is not quite the same as the original build sheet
from Mercedes Benz.
The OEM build sheet specifically states that the rear suspension is rated for 3.88 metric tons,
and the "Weight Variant" for that vehicle when it left the assembly line in Germany is listed
as 3.88 Kilograms.
3.88 Kilograms is 8553.936 lbs.
This Sprinter also left the factory with a 4.111:1 rear differential ratio, which was some sort of
special order (Option code AC2).
Most T1N Cargo Sprinters were equipped with a 4.182:1 rear differential ratio.
Interesting to say the least.
Since capacity info is on a "Home and Park Motorhomes" sheet, it would seem that the up fitter
(Home and Park Motorhomes) made some errors on their capacity sheet that are significantly
different than what left the Mercedes Factory.
You capacity sheet lists 16 x 6.5J wheels, but the OEM Build Sheet lists 16 x 6J wheels.
Does this motorhome have alloy wheels or something?
Hope this helps,
Roger

daytonabeachbum
05-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Yes it does have alloy wheels

daytonabeachbum
05-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I guess I need to contact Roadtrek

sailquik
05-11-2015, 03:47 PM
daytonabeachbum,
Send me a PM (top RH side of this page above the top blue bar) with your email address
and I can send you the OEM Build Data Card in .PDF format.
Not sure what asking Roadtrek will do for you, this is an older RV, and why they would
downgrade the capacity plate to less than what MB built into the vehicle is puzzling.
Hope this helps,
Roger

daytonabeachbum
05-11-2015, 04:28 PM
OK, I think I sent the PM. Never did before. Thanks Roger

Cole
05-11-2015, 11:49 PM
It has a gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of 8550 pounds. It has a front axle rating (GAWR) of 3430 pounds. It has a rear axle rating (GAWR) of 4160 pounds. The total rating of both axles added together is only 7590 pounds. My question is how can the vehicle gross rating be higher then the weight the axles are rated for? .

Looks to me like the GVWR is what the whole vehicle can weigh when put on a scale.

The weight rating for the axles is what each axle can carry? (So not including the weight of the axle itself)

Which means the GVWR - the Combined GAWR should = the weight of the axles and tires themselves.:idunno: