PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle hauling with a 118?

Throttlejockey
05-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Anyone have a setup for hauling motorcycles (dirt). This van will do double duty as a work van and hauler.

Thanks!

hulagun
05-12-2015, 07:16 AM
There's several of us on here who do this. As you already know you will need something solid to stop the front wheels against. Usually either a bulkhead or wheel chocks. I have used a section of thick plywood spanning across the two front seat bases. I also added tie down loops near the seat bases. I tie the back of the bikes down securely too. You don't want bikes loose in a collision. I find my wheel chocks are often in the way. So I'm going to build a low bulkhead instead, because I want the seats able to still recline. And I want to be able to step over it. It may incorporate a little storage as well, to hold Sprinter spares and tools. I bought a folding aluminum ramp at Cycle Gear that fits perfectly in the slider door step well. It's padded with rubber blocks to stop most of the rattles. The floor of my van is lined with rubber horse stall mat, it makes for a nice floor and quiets the van a bit.

obie
05-12-2015, 08:34 AM
http://www.boltiton.com/

I use one of these. Fit 3 in the back of my Sprinter. If you can find one used, great, if you have to pay full price, they're worth every penny. Or if you have the capability, copy their design, it's stupid simple. In or out in seconds. I'm about to by another one for the trailer for additional bikes.

cloead
05-12-2015, 12:23 PM
I fit 3 bikes in the back of my (158) sprinter. For wheel chocks I use two 4x4s screwed together and then screwed to the floor.

It's tight but they fit width wise

http://i.imgur.com/cauHVGdh.jpg

obie
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
If you put the center one in backwards, you can keep all the bars straight. Loads up easy, too.

Throttlejockey
05-12-2015, 04:51 PM
I had a 140 SHC before and had no problem fitting a bike in. I had low van shelving and the bars were high enough to clear them. My concern with the 118 is the length. I was thinking a removable wheel chock on the floor between the seats would work. I would really like a partition for when I would be using A/C but I don't think I could get an 8' length of plywood in. I guess if the partition had a door I could open it and slide it through.

hulagun
05-12-2015, 06:06 PM
I had a 140 SHC before and had no problem fitting a bike in. I had low van shelving and the bars were high enough to clear them. My concern with the 118 is the length. I was thinking a removable wheel chock on the floor between the seats would work. I would really like a partition for when I would be using A/C but I don't think I could get an 8' length of plywood in. I guess if the partition had a door I could open it and slide it through.

TJ, you must not actually own a 118" yet. Mine has a full 105" behind the front seats. Any normal-size motorcycle will fit in my 118" with room to spare. As for plywood, mine can carry full sheets easily.

The AC in my van cools the inside just fine with no partition. It helps that my van is a light color. It did cool off faster with it's partition, but I hated not being able to recline the seats fully, so I got rid of it. The van seems quieter now, too.

My 118" is great for dense cities with scarce parking and narrow streets, but stuff 2 bikes and all the gear in... it fills up fast. IF you have the room to park one at your house, I'd strongly recommend getting a 140" wb instead for general use, bike hauling or camping. They carry more, sit higher ( w 16" rims after 2003) and ride nicer, with the only minor downside being finding parking spots that are long enough.

And while you are looking, remember that the HC version (high ceiling) is OK, but the SHC (Super High Ceiling) is MUCH nicer to walk around in.

Throttlejockey
05-12-2015, 07:09 PM
No, I don't have one yet. Tough to find reasonably priced sprinters out here. I found a low mileage 118 though. This will also be my daily driver. My concern is the ride quality since I haven't driven one yet. I think I could deal with the smaller size since I'll also be trying for it to blend in at the HOA.

L8RSK8R
05-12-2015, 08:29 PM
What's reasonably priced?

Paul_E_D
05-13-2015, 01:58 AM
I have a 118 shc as my daily driver. I mounted bigger tires on the 15s and the ride is fine. I decided to keep the motos outside and build out nicer quarters. I think the 118 is the best as a daily.

Throttlejockey
05-13-2015, 03:24 AM
What's reasonably priced?

Why? You want to sell yours?

cloead
05-13-2015, 12:25 PM
If you put the center one in backwards, you can keep all the bars straight. Loads up easy, too.

i crank the bars to full lock because then i can tie the bikes down without compressing the suspension. and loading up a bike backwards is never really easy imo. with them like this i can ride the two outside bikes in and push the middle one in no problem.

hulagun
05-13-2015, 04:15 PM
I have a 118 shc as my daily driver. I mounted bigger tires on the 15s and the ride is fine. I decided to keep the motos outside and build out nicer quarters. I think the 118 is the best as a daily.

To add to Pauls endorsement, my 118 is my only non-moto vehicle and I use it like a car. I also rely on it as my race bike hauler (per this posts original question). Fitting oversize tires does help the ride. But if I had the space to park it, I would have bought my friends SHC 140wb which I have traveled to many events in also. It was the perfect bike hauler. It had room for 3 riders, bikes, gear and a dog.

obie
05-13-2015, 05:58 PM
i crank the bars to full lock because then i can tie the bikes down without compressing the suspension. and loading up a bike backwards is never really easy imo. with them like this i can ride the two outside bikes in and push the middle one in no problem.

We use fork-savers, so suspension squatting is not an issue. Curious about the full lock thing though. How do you actually do this? I'm a bit of an OCD type with stuff needing to be centerd and symetrical, so not sure I could handle seeing all those crooked bars in the mirror. Do they move around at all when traveling, or are they in good and tight? I guess I've done the backwards thing long enough in different situations that it's pretty natural now.

Throttlejockey
05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Question- is the registration different for the 3500 vs the 2500 in CA? Does it move to a different classification with restrictions?

L8RSK8R
05-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Why? You want to sell yours?

Selling soon. Needs a few things fixed 1st.
Trying to get an idea of pricing :)
Mine is setup like a limo.

cloead
05-14-2015, 12:21 PM
We use fork-savers, so suspension squatting is not an issue. Curious about the full lock thing though. How do you actually do this? I'm a bit of an OCD type with stuff needing to be centerd and symetrical, so not sure I could handle seeing all those crooked bars in the mirror. Do they move around at all when traveling, or are they in good and tight? I guess I've done the backwards thing long enough in different situations that it's pretty natural now.

Push bike in, turn bars all the way to the left till the stop. One strap from right side of the handlebar to the wall you are turning the bars against (up top). Another strap from the same handlebar down to the floor on the opposite side of the van. Little to no movement if your straps are positioned correctly and you can get 3 bikes in all facing the same way.

My brain is in straight so seeing crooked handlebars has no effect on me :lol:

DesmoDave
05-14-2015, 11:19 PM
This is how I do mine:

http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_2244c-720x689.jpg

http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/IMG_2044-720x540.jpg

http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Sprinter_2015_03_12_03-720x540.jpg

http://blog.daviddemartini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/IMG_2051-e1428957365272-540x720.jpg

DesmoDave
05-14-2015, 11:24 PM
No, I don't have one yet. Tough to find reasonably priced sprinters out here.

No kidding! That's why I wrote a search CL search aggregator to help me find one last year, then I decided to turn that into a company. :rad:

Bourkeco
05-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Pop chocks...

Shibby!
05-15-2015, 04:18 PM
I have the Risk racing stand. Works awesome especially in the small 118 cargo bay so you don't have tie downs taking up valuable space.

I can fit two bikes in easily this way. Three probably possible if one is turned around.

Paul_E_D
05-19-2015, 10:12 PM
This way I have a bike wash right out the back door!

Throttlejockey
05-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Nice setup. I bought the 118 but haven't picked it up yet. I've never seen an 06 that still looked new inside and out. I paid a premium but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Paul_E_D
05-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice setup. I bought the 118 but haven't picked it up yet. I've never seen an 06 that still looked new inside and out. I paid a premium but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Awesome! I paid dearly for mine too, but well worth it to get a low miles, rust free example.

Throttlejockey
05-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Yea, I had an 04 140 SHC before that was a company van. It was used for delivering dry cleaning so it never had any weight in it but the rear and drivers door was abused. All the doors close like a new truck. The only issue in the interior is one of the vents on the driver side is missing a tooth. Has PW,PL and cruise that I didn't have on my 04.

Garandman
07-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Thread resurrection.

We bought a 118” mostly for bikes: after using a trailer for a year I missed the security and weather protection. We have dirt bikes, touring bikes, and a track-day bike (GSX-R750).

Still working on mine but this was after first weekend. We use a Condor Pit Stop most often: also have two Pit Bull stands. Still figuring out where to locate everything before attaching them. Also we may well mount an L track rail down the center.

Tying the [folding] ramps on each side worked well. Next session is in August and we may have two bikes.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-PJK98RF/0/230c2b15/L/i-PJK98RF-L.jpg

This is what I don’t really like right now. The right side tie downs are fine, but we have to go all the way across for the left side. They get in the way.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mcZtxpT/0/03b4d3ac/X2/i-mcZtxpT-X2.jpg

dodger413
07-16-2019, 05:00 PM
hauling my harley across country for various bike weeks, my 170wb high roof seemed just barely large enough. that's about 4' less length. yikes.

even my 148"wb medium roof transit is a tight squeeze compared to the Sprinter.

The Grand Tour
07-16-2019, 06:40 PM
hauling my harley across country for various bike weeks, my 170wb high roof seemed just barely large enough. that's about 4' less length. yikes.

even my 148"wb medium roof transit is a tight squeeze compared to the Sprinter.

If it's not a track bike, you should be riding it. Motorcycles are about riding, not posing.

The Grand Tour
07-16-2019, 06:41 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mcZtxpT/0/03b4d3ac/X2/i-mcZtxpT-X2.jpg

Your tire is wearing well. Who does your suspension?

chrisinflight
07-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Removable front wheel chock. Dirtbike, 2 seats, table and kitchen. Still loads of room for gear.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Love the Ideas popping off. I just purchased my 158wb SHC2500 for use as a track bike hauler.
Working on layout designs right now before i officially get started. Was skeptical about having the bike over to far one side or the other.
As Midwestdrifter has mentioned the gas tank is more so on the left side. So it balances out. As i have the bike set to the right.
For the time being I have my TRS system mounted to a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply board and i walk it up on a ramp.

just window shopping ideas

Sorry i cant figure out how to rotate my photos

The Grand Tour
07-17-2019, 02:51 AM
Love the Ideas popping off. I just purchased my 158wb SHC2500 for use as a track bike hauler.
Working on layout designs right now before i officially get started. Was skeptical about having the bike over to far one side or the other.
As Midwestdrifter has mentioned the gas tank is more so on the left side. So it balances out. As i have the bike set to the right.
For the time being I have my TRS system mounted to a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply board and i walk it up on a ramp.

just window shopping ideas

Sorry i cant figure out how to rotate my photos

Your 2018 GSX-R1000R "track bike" has turn signals...and a headlight...and a passenger seat...and racing numbers...and the OEM Bridgestone RS10 tires?

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 04:09 AM
Your 2018 GSX-R1000R "track bike" has turn signals...and a headlight...and a passenger seat...and racing numbers...and the OEM Bridgestone RS10 tires?

Hahaha. Yes sir. I just purchased. Figured i spend the money on seat time getting use to it. Nothing tape and pulled fuses cant fix for now right.
The number plates where reused off my 600.. everyone knows how hard it is to get ahold of drippn wet.
Upgrade from my 2015 Gsx-R 600

The Grand Tour
07-17-2019, 04:52 AM
Looks like a couple of nice clean motorcycles. So you do track days, or what? I'm not seeing any safety wire.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 05:05 AM
Looks like a couple of nice clean motorcycles. So you do track days, or what? I'm not seeing any safety wire.

PM sent

hulagun
07-17-2019, 05:09 AM
Jeez, tough crowd. Personally I'm just happy to chat with somebody else who appreciates how awesome Sprinters and motorcycles both are. Ive hauled 2 bikes across many miles to multiple events in my little 118. And I can park it in a compact length stall, which is useful in San Francisco. My buddy fell in love with my van after driving it, he found himself a 158" wb and regularly hauls 5 dirtbikes and all his gear to various events. But he lives out in the country where parking is not so dear. I'd love one w a bit more head room and passenger rear springs, but the Used Sprinter Store was all out that day.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Jeez, tough crowd. Personally I'm just happy to chat with somebody else who appreciates how awesome Sprinters and motorcycles both are. Ive hauled 2 bikes across many miles to multiple events in my little 118. And I can park it in a compact length stall, which is useful in San Francisco. My buddy fell in love with my van after driving it, he found himself a 158" wb and regularly hauls 5 dirtbikes and all his gear to various events. But he lives out in the country where parking is not so dear. I'd love one w a bit more head room and passenger rear springs, but the Used Sprinter Store was all out that day.

Im right there with you ive been trying to get ideas how every Moto guy is laying out there setup. ive been looking at ramp designs, enclosed garage designs to keep the fumes down.
I realy like Cloeads drop down tail design like a toy hauler it would simplify things for me but if i could figure out how to do that with only one door and keep the other that would on point.

hulagun
07-17-2019, 05:36 AM
Im right there with you ive been trying to get ideas how every Moto guy is laying out there setup. ive been looking at ramp designs, enclosed garage designs to keep the fumes down.

There's a couple characters on here who are dicks, but most folks are friendly and helpful.

First thing I did to my van was add thick rubber floor mats in the cargo area. It really helped quiet the road noise. The mats are from Tractor Supply, I think they each weigh as much as my Triumph.

If you set your bulkhead behind the side door you can isolate fumes in the back and still have room to recline your seats and store gear and carry 4 or 5 people. In my 118 I removed the bulkhead since it also serves as camper van and road trip van, and reclining seats are a must have.. This means I got a whiff of oil or gas occasionally when hauling bikes... But I started draining the carbs and dont fill the tanks full and since then its been fine.

A Cycle Gear folding aluminum ramp fits nicely in the side door stepwell. I lined the well with rubber sheet left over from the floor mats, and wrap a moving pad around it to stop it rattling. Never needed more ramp than that, but I dont haul (or ride) any bikes that weigh much over 400 lbs.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 05:42 AM
i think he was just messing around he was helpful in a sense i posted a couple pictures with street name and house number he sent me a helpful pm but i dont live there anymore so .. Steal away haha.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 05:45 AM
So i did remove my bulkhead as with intentions to push it back towards the back to make like a garage but i wanted a walk through in the van so i scraped that idea. Cycle gear ramps i have both as i use the small one to walk down as i walk the the bike down on the big one. i havent mastered this like the Moto X guys

Garandman
07-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Your tire is wearing well. Who does your suspension?

Hes imaginary.

Garandman
07-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Think I’m going to install a strip of L track right down the middle of the floor.
Hahaha. Yes sir. I just purchased. Figured i spend the money on seat time getting use to it. Nothing tape and pulled fuses cant fix for now right.
The number plates where reused off my 600.. everyone knows how hard it is to get ahold of drippn wet.
Upgrade from my 2015 Gsx-R 600What tracks do you go to? I’d like to head South this fall and ride some of the tracks. Farthest south I’ve been is NJMP.

We just pull the license plate and turn signals and cover and safety wire things as required [2016 GSX-R750]. Suspension has been upgraded front and rear, SS brake lines, spools, and WoodCraft rear sets. Going to get a clutch cover and some more hardware to protect the engine cases.

I’m 6’1 and had bilateral knee replacement so unless ridden regularly don’t have the flexion needed for proper body positioning. Keeping the bike street legal let’s me get enough seat time. Suzuki body parts aren’t that expensive anyway: the two guys next to me at the last session had a Panagale and an S1000RR, and the body part prices were crazy.

The Grand Tour
07-17-2019, 04:51 PM
We just pull the license plate and turn signals and cover and safety wire things as required [2016 GSX-R750].

What track days require safety wiring?

Suspension has been upgraded front and rear, SS brake lines, spools, and WoodCraft rear sets.

Who does your suspension?

Going to get a clutch cover and some more hardware to protect the engine cases.

Their purpose isn't to protect your engine, they're to protect the track from your engine oil.

Suzuki body parts aren’t that expensive anyway: the two guys next to me at the last session had a Panagale and an S1000RR, and the body part prices were crazy.

Nothing wrong with that- you don't need race plastics if you're just doing track days, because track days don't require a fluid-containing belly pan.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 05:35 PM
What tracks do you go to? Id like to head South this fall and ride some of the tracks. Farthest south Ive been is NJMP.

My home Org is PRE super big on safety and we promote Airfence like a bad habit as it has saves many lives that ive seen first hand. Once you get to A group more safety provisions like safety wiring is advised before track entry. My home track thats 45 mins away Is Virginia international Raceway :rad:..Absolutely love it so do the Moto America guys. if you never been its a must. within in 3-6 hours the ones i attend are Road Atlanta (another MotoA scheduled track), RRR in Gerogia, Carolina Motorsports park in SC, NCbike which is a fast flat track,

which is why i got this van i want to travel, an experience the circuit tracks in the US. definatley head up north with N2 racing and West from barber to COTA to Weathertech Raceway.:bow:

so a good mounting system to travel those distances are a bonus:2cents:

Garandman
07-17-2019, 05:36 PM
I am not answering any questions from you. Like to keep the topic on 118’s.

Cwhite87
07-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Yeah we went off on a tangent

Garandman
07-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Some of you have put L track down the center? Have you recessed to floor level? I have a couple of lengths of flanged track (https://www.uscargocontrol.com/96-Flanged-Airline-Style-Track-Aluminum)but it would sit proud of the floor a little.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/SSP%20Applications/Clickstop/app2/img/Spec-Drawings/ATF96AL-spec-drawing.png

The Grand Tour
07-18-2019, 02:08 AM
My home Org is PRE super big on safety and we promote Airfence like a bad habit as it has saves many lives that ive seen first hand. Once you get to A group more safety provisions like safety wiring is advised before track entry. My home track thats 45 mins away Is Virginia international Raceway :rad:..Absolutely love it so do the Moto America guys. if you never been its a must. within in 3-6 hours the ones i attend are Road Atlanta (another MotoA scheduled track), RRR in Gerogia, Carolina Motorsports park in SC, NCbike which is a fast flat track,

which is why i got this van i want to travel, an experience the circuit tracks in the US. definatley head up north with N2 racing and West from barber to COTA to Weathertech Raceway.:bow:

so a good mounting system to travel those distances are a bonus:2cents:

If you like track days, wait until you try racing. :thumbup:

Garandman
08-02-2019, 11:58 AM

so a good mounting system to travel those distances are a bonus:2cents:I've booked a two day event at NC Bike mid-October. Planning to hit TOD and that area either right before or right after. I'm at the stage of my life where I'm just cruising around, middle groups are fine with me. Though I just ordered an Aim Solo 2 timer to see what I'm missing....

Anyone put L track down on their floor? Right now with two bikes I have the retaining straps criss-crossed to the walls. I'm thinking putting a recessed L track just slightly off-center (so it marries up to the raised ribs in the floor) will make it easier to move around and load/unload. Or maybe just center it and put in spacers to support it. This is what I have under the floor: there's a layer of foam attached to the floor as well.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-x8gQbRG/0/b1415d99/X2/i-x8gQbRG-X2.jpg

My road bike is a big girl - Triumph Tiger 1050 - and I'd like to bring both that and the GSX-R.

ricracer16
08-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Here is my setup. 144 WB, using pitbull TRS. I love this setup, dont have to deal with straps loosening, fraying or snapping, and just wasting time. Just click and go. I just came back from Road America and I had two bikes in there, all our riding and camping gear, no problem.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190802/50744a3fd599c0e27d9fa985d8cc128e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garandman
08-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Ricrcr, what did you use for siding?

ricracer16
08-13-2019, 07:17 PM
1/4 plywood wrapped in very thin foam and car upholstery. I can't remember exactly what website I got it at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk