PDA

View Full Version : LImp mode, cycle ignition, higher rpm, hot weather

Alibabala
05-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Hi friends,

Today i headed to Chi from PA. Almost 500 miles, i have about 6k-7k lbs on my 2006 sprinter 3500.
Weather was hot and lots of hills up and down, when i go uphill or down with the engine break i had the limp mode.. Turn on and off the engine power is back. So i think turbo is fine. Now temperature is about 71 and i drive with high rpm so far nothing happened..
Anything could be related with high temperature and the limp mode ? Or with Turbo ?

Tomorrow i will see a mechanic before i take there i want to hear from you guys..

My best Ali Baba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alibabala
05-08-2015, 01:31 AM
I think it is mostly likely about tempreture sensor or smth like that. Hmm

jmoller99
05-08-2015, 05:30 PM
If you get a ScanGuageII or UltraGuage EM you could monitor the Boost Pressure, MAP Pressure and Manifold Intake Temp. I set my dash to always give me ambient air temp (instead of a clock). I find that the Manifold temp is at least 10 degrees higher than Ambient (and as much as 50 degrees higher) if the Turbo is working. If you are seeing something much higher than than, the Intake Manifold temp sensor may be way off - if so, changing it may eliminate the problem. Mine was flaky and would throw the Sprinter into LHM frequently.

NOTE: The ambient air temp sensor is behind the license plate holder at the front of the Sprinter.
The Manifold air temp sensor is after the intercooler, on the plastic part between the 2 turbo hoses after the intercooler.

Alibabala
05-09-2015, 05:18 AM
thank you jmoller , today i went to well known mechanics in Chi, they said its about acumator (?) so turbo has to change 900$labor + 1800$ turbo i am looking around 2,700$ i will just keep driving like this.

sailquik
05-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Alibabala,
If your Sprinter had a serious turbocharger actuator problem, or a turbo resonator problem, it would not correct itself with
a simple shut down-restart cycle.
Maybe it would be good, as jmoller suggests, to get a < $200 Scan Gauge II (or similar) so you can see what the MAP/Boost
pressure from the turbocharger actually is, and if it goes away suddenly (indicating a seam in the turbo resonator (TR) that
is opening up and dumping your boost pressure.
You said that if you run it at higher rpm, then no problems.
This would indicate that when the turbo "pops" (either too much or not enough turbo boost pressure) and your Sprinter
goes into Limp Home Mode (LHM) you are running the engine too slowly and it's not making it's full power (2700-3150 RPM)
so the % engine Load is too high and the turbo boost and fuel flow are at the max.
When you manually downshift, you keep the revs up, the % engine load is lower, the fuel flow is reduced, and the turbo boost
stays lower. Coolant temperature is also usually lower.
It's better (and more economical fuel wise) to manually downshift, slow down a bit and keep the revs > 2600 RPM.
You can see/monitor all of this very easily with a Scan Gauge II.
Does not sound like you need any of the things the dealer suggested.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Alibabala
05-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Thank you Roger, i will order one on Monday worth to try !!

sailquik
05-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Alibabala,
The Scan Gauge II will not "fix" anything, but it will give you a lot more information on what your engine
management/transmission control computers are doing for you (or NOT!).
This information can be very useful in learning some of the tricks that keep Sprinters running more
efficiently for significantly longer.
No changes to the Sprinter, significant changes to how the driver "system" interfaces with the
Sprinters "systems".
It's a simple plug and play, about 5-10 min. of set up to get all the right measurement systems
programmed in, then a tank or 2 of fuel to get the fuel offset % correct and you are on your way
to understanding just exactly what your Sprinter is doing for you and a whole lot of the "WHY"
it's doing what it's doing.
Roger

surlyoldbill
05-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Also, if Ali has a smartphone (high probability), a bluetooth OBD adapter, like ELM327 ($10) and a free or $5 OBD/scanner app like Torque will provide all the same info as any universal scanner like the ScangaugeII, and has a better screen. Cheaper to try than buying a dedicated scanner.