PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured Engine on 1k gone ?

Alibabala
05-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Hi friends,

I have sprinter 3500 2006 dully, it is about 250k, i do change the oil and do all other needs at recommended times. 1 week ago, i woke up i checked the engine oil level everything was ok. I was in Pittsburgh on way to NJ.
After 45 min, engine started to give some kind of sounds like kicking a metal part inside of the engine when i pulled on the side. I opened the oil cap and there was smoke that is smells like burnt. I towed the car closest dealer ship, at Somerset PA. They told me to get a new engine or used. For new 12k for the used 5.5k for installation we agreed on 7k for the remanufactured 50,000miles that has 30 days warranty.
I picked up the sprinter and start driving it was ok, the engine was little in rust but they said look inside not the outside..
I was at NY white plains on Saturday night and on highway we start loosing engine power, then after couple miles we got out from exit and i opened the trunk,
1. Engine was shaking it looked to me very unhealthy
2. There was no mechanical sound.
3. I opened the oil cap and it smelled the same with white smoke.
4. When car stops with turn on engine heat goes up.
5. Almost no power but still goes.

Did i bought a bad engine ?
What should be the process ?
Should i pay for diagnosis, bc i will drop the van tonight at another dealership near me ?

Thanks a lot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindenengineering
05-04-2015, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=Alibabala;373389]Hi friends,

I have sprinter 3500 2006 dully, it is about 250k, i do change the oil and do all other needs at recommended times. 1 week ago, i woke up i checked the engine oil level everything was ok. I was in Pittsburgh on way to NJ.
After 45 min, engine started to give some kind of sounds like kicking a metal part inside of the engine when i pulled on the side. I opened the oil cap and there was smoke that is smells like burnt. I towed the car closest dealer ship, at Somerset PA. They told me to get a new engine or used. For new 12k for the used 5.5k for installation we agreed on 7k for the remanufactured 50,000miles that has 30 days warranty.
I picked up the sprinter and start driving it was ok, the engine was little in rust but they said look inside not the outside..
I was at NY white plains on Saturday night and on highway we start loosing engine power, then after couple miles we got out from exit and i opened the trunk,
1. Engine was shaking it looked to me very unhealthy
2. There was no mechanical sound.
3. I opened the oil cap and it smelled the same with white smoke.
4. When car stops with turn on engine heat goes up.
5. Almost no power but still goes.

Did i bought a bad engine ?
What should be the process ?
Should i pay for diagnosis, bc i will drop the van tonight at another dealership near me ?

Thanks a lot..

First
Something tells me there is a man shouting out Caveat Emptor.:hmmm:
You should have only bought was a Jasper reman at about $7700 plus install.
It is covered by a 12 months 100,000 miles warranty
What you got was something that just lived up to a bye bye warranty--a red light one.

My suggestion would be to contact the people who installed it and claim your warranty.
See if you can get them to live up what they promised to do!
They should be paying the tow and any diagnostic work you have incurred following the failure.
This sounds scary I hope its not--for your sake!
Best of luck
Dennis

Shoot a shot across their bows and see what they will do to honor the warranty.

Eric Experience
05-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately this is common story. Sprinter motors normally do not wear out, they fail in some way usually related to oil pressure so if someone just re rings and reshells the motor it is still a failed motor because the cause of failure was not addressed. Never buy a motor without seeing a hot idle oil pressure of over about 20 psi. Eric.

Alibabala
05-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments and advices. I was in panic so i had to trust them... ( so, incase any similar situation, calm down and check your possibilities )
To keep up with the form here my action plan to solve all this..

Today, the white plains NY dodge called me and told me that, injector wires are gone. Since it is in the engine, it is a proof that they breached their warranty agreement.

Now i will offer them 2 options,

refund all the money plus pay the diagnostic cost, i will keep the broken core engine.
Engine was 5,500$ + Tax
Labor to install 1,400$ and 200$ extras.

If they agree with me, i found a engine online which has 100,000mile and 1 year warranty, i will buy that ship it to current dealership and let them install.

2. I will tell them to refund money on the broken engine which is 5,800$ and tell them to pay installation cost for the new engine that i will find.

The service manager is not in his office today, by tomo morning i will talk to him. I am worried about if they dont stand behind their warranty.. I have the paperwork but still i am worried. Worst scene scenario, i will talk to AMex and try to get my payment back.

I would love to hear your any additional ideas on my case.

thanks a lot.

surlyoldbill
05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Failed injector wires? Those are actually on the outside of the engine, and are probably the originals. I would suspect that the shop that replaced the engine used as many parts from the old one as they could (starter, alternator, fuel pumps, EGR, manifold, turbo, engine wiring harness, injectors, etc.)

Eric Experience
05-06-2015, 12:04 PM
If the wires to the injectors are faulty the ECU will close the motor down and there will be no fumes or loss of power it will be a clean total shut down. so you have a mechanic who has no idea what he is talking about. Eric.

Alibabala
05-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Thank you for all the comments here the some developments,
1. NY service dejected mis burning fuel injector bc of loose connection. They fixed it now, engine works smooth. PA, will pay the diagnostic and service, 288$
2. NY service notify me that this is not an REMAN engine. It is from a junk yard. Plus this is not an 50,000miles engine, it is 140k and it is written on somewhere on the engine.

So, now i am driving to Chi, on my way i will see the service at PA. And i will tell them that i dont want their engine bc they misrepresent, mislead also fooled me !!

I will go get this engine, it has 100k warranty plus 1 year warranty and let this PA service to install for free.

What you guys think of this engine ? Do their warranty reliable ?

Thanks a lot guys.

http://market.autopartsfair.com/used_engines/order.html