PDA

View Full Version : transmission interchange.

lindenengineering
04-30-2015, 12:45 AM
I plan to move T1N transmission from a scrapped Sprinter to my 2006 Sprinter 2500.
Scrapped vehicle had engine issues. I am expecting the transmission to be OK.
A dealer confirmed by VINs they are the same.

Just wondering how hard it is and what could get wrong.
Is there any ECM update to be done for another transmission?

You should be fine , we have doene it "oudles of times" for transport fleets to keep then running.

Just make sure that if your original transmission has grenaded clear oit the cololer & lines. Before you conenct up your donor.
Then drive it like you stole it to learn the shift.
Dennis

bigrigpardo
05-04-2015, 02:08 PM
my 2003 has rsn and I have a 2006 parts van with a rebuilt trans. will this swap out with no issues at all or is there computer crap to deal with?

Douglas Hicks
05-04-2015, 05:10 PM
All I know is that when I had a rebuilt trans installed in my 2005, I was glad I had the DAD. If not for the DAD, I would have had to have the van towed to the closets dealer so the computer would talk to the replacement transmission.

jmoller99
05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
The transmissions will swap. You likely will need a DAD to get the transmission out of Limp Home Mode (where you only have 2nd, Neutral and Reverse available). It is possible that, since you are not swapping the TCM (under the drivers seat), it will run fine, after the swap, but that assumes that you have everything re-connected and do not power anything up between the time you start and are completely finished. If the ECU and TCM are powered up while the transmission is unplugged, you will need a DAD (or DRBIII) to reset the transmission errors (not possible with a generic ODBII device)

lindenengineering
05-04-2015, 08:00 PM
All I know is that when I had a rebuilt trans installed in my 2005, I was glad I had the DAD. If not for the DAD, I would have had to have the van towed to the closets dealer so the computer would talk to the replacement transmission.

Anyone with a Snap On scanner loaded with domestic Dodge software and Euro cable plus key #17 can clear that set of codes.
I have posted all this stuff many times before!
You don't need your DAD & you don't need to go to an MB dealer just seek out a friendly corner Independent shop. We don't bite!:thumbup:
Dennis

cloead
05-05-2015, 12:12 PM
I swapped a trans from an 06 into my 04 and did not have to do anything to the ECM to get it to drive.

I did eventually reset the learned procedures and it didn't really seem to make a difference in driveability.