PDA

View Full Version : 03 Passenger Model- Ceiling water stain?

MikeP
05-01-2015, 04:23 AM
03 Passenger Model 140 SHR with factory inside rear AC unit. Noticed what looks like small water stain on interior panels above side windows on seam of last rear panel. Approximately 3" wide and no more than 2" tall at highest point.
Felt dry and not sticky. Had a lot rain last couple weeks.
Never noticed these spots til today.
They match on both sides, same amount and same location.

Is there a seam on exterior on roof in this area that might be leaking?
Any problems with this been noted on forum?
Any ideas?

"Thank you" for reading and appreciate any information/assistance in advance.

Paul_E_D
05-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Yes, the roof seams are notoriously leaky/rusty. Get on the roof, clean up the seams and seal with roof sealant or roof tape

Boz Staggs
05-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Also, the stain washes off with water and a little laundry detergent.

obie
05-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that tip, I was wondering about it. Thought maybe spraying with water and then vacuuming, sort of like a make shift steam cleaner.

MikeP
05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
"Thank ya'll!" Will see about getting it checked. Was very surprised seeing stains. Went out looked at side of roof with a tape on inside glass it matches up pretty well with what looks like seam coming off roof. Did notice some light rust color on drip edge(rolled lip goes down length of roof).
Found a few threads this morning on 'search' posts. Never gave any thoughts about roof til now.
Don't think stains will wash off very well. Since Passenger model they are some kind of fabric/hardboard panels used as headliner so soaked in. But will try wiping down with upholstery cleaner see if helps.
"Thanks!"

surlyoldbill
05-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Carpet stain cleaner with oxy works. I treated mine with corrosion inhibitor and then sealed with silicone.

Paul_E_D
05-01-2015, 05:12 PM
You can definitely clean the stain. Upholtery cleaner with a brush, then a vacuum got all mine cleaned up. Passenger headliner here too.

photoadjuster
05-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Use Folex, a spot remover from Lowe's Home Improvement. Do not use a brush because it may change the texture of the material, and it shows.

Folex is designed to lift the stain. Rub with you fingers until it foams then blot.

Car detailers have used it for years.

MikeP
05-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Young man that does our yard mowing said today if I'd get the material for "tape" seams he'd bring a talk step ladder and do it. RV place is just a few miles away on Interstate so will see if they have it Monday.
Will check on cleaner, too!
"Thanks!"

surlyoldbill
05-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Don't seal the rust underneath, it will continue it's cancerous ways. You have to kill or get rid of the rust first. I removed my headliners to treat it from both sides, and I installed 1" rigid foam insulation while I was at it, and ran a few wires to be used as needed later (rearview camera, light controls, etc).