PDA

View Full Version : Adding seats to a cargo...

veggiePNW
04-30-2015, 05:49 PM
I know this is sometimes a contentious issue, but I've found an outfitter who will do the work, and will install OEM seat brackets in a cargo T1N. (http://www.vanspecialties.com/). I'm about to pull the trigger on one, and wanted to make sure there wouldn't be issues with adding a seat like this:

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/pts/4999610415.html

It is originally from a T1N, so all seems well. Other issues I'll be able to think through / troubleshoot once we have the van, but I was hoping to get some reassurance I would be able to add the seating to this van.

and while I'm asking for opinions... this is the van (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5000465885.html). It seems very well cared for - I'm getting it inspected at a shop I trust tomorrow. Thoughts on price? The mileage is on the high side, even for a diesel, I would think?

thanks!
Erik

MillionMileSprinter
04-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Ive done it. Very easy, except for the front bench seat on the drivers side. The fuel tank is in the way. Go for it.

veggiePNW
04-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Thank you Type2Teach - does the front seat just require taking the tank off? ... I'm assuming taking the tank off is more time and money, but still doable? We were aiming to add these as a front seat behind the two driver/passenger seats up front.

thank you!
Erik

Colorado_Al
04-30-2015, 10:29 PM
I've done it too. Wood floor already has perforations where it needs to be cut to mount the brackets. Can be done with rivnuts without removing the tank. Just be careful when you're drilling that your bit does not puncture the tank.

veggiePNW
04-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Is $600 an absurd amount to pay to have someone else put this in? Part of the reason I'd pay to do it professionally is peace of mind that the seat is attached correctly...

MillionMileSprinter
05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
I lowered my tank. 600 seems reasonable, based on reading other threads and seeing what others have paid.

mbsprinter
05-01-2015, 08:11 PM
When I did this I lowered the tank and used high-strength bolts and nuts and large washers. Worst-case scenario, in a crash, you don't want those seats coming loose. Unlike some applications, in this case the seatbelts are attached to the seat and a LOT of pull is going to be on those bolts. I don't think "rivnuts" would hold.

ECU
05-02-2015, 12:35 AM
I cut the wood floor myself. Brackets are under $20 each. I paid a guy $50 to weld nuts in so i wouldn't have to drop the tank.

thecoast1
05-02-2015, 02:40 PM
I did it too, after reading a bazillion threads here about it.. Like has been said, the bracket behind the drivers seat is the tricky one as it sits directly over the frame rail and the fuel tank. I was prepared to drop the tank and go that route but got lazy and called van specialties to pay to have them do it. They couldn't do it as quick as I needed it done and after talking with them about their process I ended up doing it myself. Like a couple others have also done, you can surgically open the floor from the top and fish some sort of washer/plate under where the seat bracket mounts. Not too hard, not too easy. Depends on your comfort level. Good luck.

veggiePNW
05-11-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm curious if it's common for the stock wood floor in cargo vans to be riveted down? What have folks done with that... just left it? I'd like to eventually get under the floor to add a little sound proofing and put in a slightly more attractive floor, at least in the areas that are not under storage / bed. What's the easiest way to remove the floor when its riveted down?

thecoast1
05-12-2015, 05:06 AM
Ah, you just drill em out,no big deal. I put my floor back down with small carriage bolts, worked great.

H2Disco
02-06-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm curious if it's common for the stock wood floor in cargo vans to be riveted down? What have folks done with that... just left it? I'd like to eventually get under the floor to add a little sound proofing and put in a slightly more attractive floor, at least in the areas that are not under storage / bed. What's the easiest way to remove the floor when its riveted down?

I just removed all my rivets and removed my stock wood floor. Super easy. Use a small punch to knock the rivet out the bottom, then drill to release the rivet head. I'm planning on just re-riveting the floor back down when I install my seat.

Did you end up installing your seats? I'm trying to figure out if rivnuts are strong enough to mount the seats with. They would be way easier then bolting it all the way through and save me from drilling more holes in my frame. I'm about to head to the hardware store to do some research and hopefully come home with the needed hardware.

veggiePNW
02-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I got my seats installed professionally, though after seeing what they did I'm sure I could have done it myself. I wouldn't recommend RivNuts. The wood floors have small tick marks where the brackets are to mount, and there are some large beefy bolts that bolt through the floor.... I wouldn't be surprised if they were 1/2", but not sure. I didn't want to take any risks with the seat... I'll happily riv nut other things to the van that I won't be buckling my kid into.