PDA

View Full Version : Help me diagnose small tranny leak - on the road

PortlandSprinterConnection
04-30-2015, 04:06 AM
Hi Fellas,

Just want to preface this by saying I am no accomplished mechanic, but a fairly capable diyer.

Sprinter S really came through for me last week when my tranny went out. The suggestions for silver star transmissions were more than helpful, and Dave even came and gave us a ride somewhere.

I need some help again. The shop got the new tranny installed, and I noticed there was a small leak and informed them, they quickly got back to it and thought for whatever reason it was overful, even though they measured it right the first filling process.

So they drained it, tested, and it looked good and he sent me on my way. I'm two hours south now, in Ventura CA, and I'm noticing a small leak. Ive checked twice, and both times the fluid has been on the passenger side of the pan, and on the back cross member.

Ive had 5 significant things needing repair on this trip, and while I love the idea of the van, I'm getting a little exhausted. :rolleyes::snore:

Is it possible for it be leaking near where the dip stick tube meets the tranny? Coating peeling under that already. Any ideas? Bad quality pics, sorry.

http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/sojourners/library/leak%20sprinter

lindenengineering
04-30-2015, 04:12 AM
Looks like the transmission communication socket O ring leaking.
Not uncommon. A $14 parts which SS should be paying for plus its install.
Install a no brainer.
Dennis

04-30-2015, 04:58 AM
Silver star didn't install it, all automatic transmission did, just to clarify. How do I check it?

surlyoldbill
04-30-2015, 06:08 AM
You might also want to check the pan bolts. Evidently they require a re-tightening after a few hundred miles or so.

lindenengineering
04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Silver star didn't install it, all automatic transmission did, just to clarify. How do I check it?

To check a leak clean it off with brake cleaner and drive it!~ Then check for source.
The socket assy comes with the transmission unit usually! Why did the transmission shop install it?

It has two O rings around its carcass and it is telescoped into the case, held by a fine centre bolt (7mm head) and the plastic ring nut being the only item visible. The two hidden O rings seal fluid in the transmission assembly. Consequently if you park the van facing down on a hill /incline the fluid will "lean" up against the socket and leak if the O rings are compromised.
Yes as Bill has stated you can get a leak at the pan seal. I have seen several leak after a service where the seal has "rolled" a bit.
And yes there is an O ring sealing the dip stick tube. the tube is secured into the case by a set screw and open holed flange weld to the tube . If slightly loose it can ride up and allow fluid to leak from the tube to case joint.
Dennis

04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty certain its not the pan. While the guys might have missed the drip, I wouldn't call them monkeys. I would be really surprised if they installed the pan poorly.

They installed it because we are 1500+ miles from home, and have a lift, and tools, and I've got nothing but a socket set and some screw drivers (amazing what you can do with that still).

Honestly don't feel like its the electrical connector, could be. Shop said they didn't receive any o rings for it, and that the old ones looked good still so they went with it, (I wish they would have just forked the $14 for peace of mind though).

Fun fun fun!

MillionMileSprinter
04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
If they re used the old o rings, that's likely the problem. Really, when people replace that connector, its because the o rings are leaking.