Cheap construction

Derekelliott

We have a 2010 built Pleasure Way Plateau on a 3500 Sprinter chassis. The 2008 MB OM642 diesel engine is quiet, reliable & surprisingly powerful for only 3 liters. The interior coach work & appliances are another matter. We bought the Pleasure Way as we understood it was a sturdy build. During the past 7 months of ownership (14K miles) the drawers have to be removed when on the road, as small inadequate stoppers on the runners broke off (broke off 3 of the 4 drawers) allowing the drawers to come crashing out at the first bend in the road. The Norcold 3 way 6.3 cubic ft fridge door has now fallen off, as the bottom plastic hinge broke (the fridge door is separate from the freezer door). The wind open window on the sliding door no longer opens as the connection between the handle & the window lever has become unattached. It looks like you have to remove the screen to get at it, but the screen frame is very flimsy, making it difficult to remove without breaking. The rear entertainment system is suspect, with the DVD & CD player intermittently not putting out all the tracks (not sure if it's a player or a speaker problem), the cab sound system plays the CD's fine. Any suggestions on reliably correcting/rebuilding the drawers so they are more robust. Fixing the fridge door (short of buying a new door). Accessing the window workings. If anyone had the same problem with the sound system, how they fixed it. Any comments short of not taking the rig off ultra smooth, straight roads would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, this forum has been a great help in the past.

jostalli

look at the wood where it came apart and check to see the substrate. Is it particle board? MDF? If so moisture may be to blame.

3mbusa

I am sorry to hear of your problems -- maybe this should be posted on the Pleasure-Way section of this blog and not in the NCV3 section. As a note, we have a 2013 built Pleasure-Way Plateau TS on a Mercedes 3500 and have not experienced any of your problems.

jostalli

I am sorry to hear of your problems -- maybe this should be posted on the Pleasure-Way section of this blog and not in the NCV3 section. As a note, we have a 2013 built Pleasure-Way Plateau TS on a Mercedes 3500 and have not experienced any of your problems.
What is the substrate used for the cabinetry? Do you know?

3mbusa

Ours appears to be solid hardwood in the critical areas -- no chip board except for the curved island near the van's sliding door which is bent and formed plywood. Maybe Pleasure-Way improved their product for 2013? As for the frige, I can see if the door were left to swing open in travel there cold be problems -- this has happened to us but luckily with no damage. We have the Visio tv and blueray and have had no problems, but I do understand that is not finest quality equipment.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I have had some similar problems with cheap construction of the drawers on an LTV. We used strips of velcro to keep the drawers and other doors closed.Our dog took out a few of those screens.They are not hard to remove.

sheral

I'm not sure I would personally refer to the construction as cheap. But hey wtf do I know, right? Ha! The RV is almost six years old and if it was previously owned, how hard on the unit were the first owners? The fridge really has nothing to do with PW's build process, and everything takes some TLC and ongoing maintenance. We've owned several RV's in the past and while some seem to age more gracefully than others, they all age. We looked at every Class B we could find and found PW to be as good if not better than the rest of the pack. Not looking for a fight, just our two cents...

Top Bottom