PDA

View Full Version : Getting all hot and bothered

zen bicycle
04-27-2015, 03:53 AM
I have had this sprinter for about 6 months so really the first time I have run it at elevated temps. I noticed on a trip the other day that the temp gauge when driving at 75mph on the speedo with ambient air above about 70 and AC on that the gauge was up at the 3rd mark which I believe is around 210 if my searching is right. Is this normal? Without AC it goes down to a little over the 180 mark. With AC and going at 65 per speedo it does the same thing (185).

Things I am about to do
Clean out radiator
Check fan clutch

Is there anything else I should check. Would prefer not to replace parts until I know what it is. Water pump seems fine as far as leeks as well as radiator overflow tank and cap.

right at 400k on a 2005 2500

Thanks

cahaak
04-27-2015, 02:40 PM
One thing that you should check is that area between the radiator, intercooler, and condensor should be cleaned out. You need to take the top support off of the area above the radiator and then separate the three and clean in between them. This area can get full of dirt and material and then you don't get the air flow through the system that you should, so it runs hot. There is a thread on it, by hkpierce I believe. You can't really get at this area just by washing the radiator from the front like you usually would. Your other ideas seem appropriate.

Chris

david_42
04-27-2015, 03:02 PM
There isn't a problem with the temperature you saw, under the conditions you quoted. But cleaning the radiator in a good idea every couple years.

surlyoldbill
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
I typically run a bit over 180, but it will rise fast if on a long hill under load, with the A/C.