Dead battery

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Went to start the van this morning and 'click' - flat battery.
A few minutes on the charger was enough to get me started and as I had a doctors appointment, took a chance it would be OK. It got me there but didn't have a enough charge to restart so I ended up having to walk a couple of kms home to get my phone so I can call for roadside assistance.

It's the first problem with the van in the 4 years I've had it although I can't really blame the van for a dead battery.

A replacement is a lot more expensive than I remember !

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
After 4 years it could be the battery, but could also be a worn alternator, lose/lost serpentine belt, bad alternator connections, bad ground connections, so if you get it started again before a battery replacement, check those too

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Roadside assistance has just been to jump start the Van and the battery test meter displayed 'replace battery' when he tried it. He didn't have a suitable battery with him but has arranged for one to be installed tomorrow.
New one will be slightly smaller (physically) but is rated 800 CCA. The current one is rated 780CCA and is at least 5 years old and isn't the original. $250.

My Scangauge shows 13.7 volts when driving so I think that the alternator, etc. is OK.

david_42

If you have AAA, I wouldn't buy one of their batteries; my wife had a little Neon and the battery AAA put in it didn't last 26 months.

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Attempting to visit "your home" gets a "403 Forbidden (to access that resource on the server)" error.

The link you are posting shows up as
HTML:
http://port-huon.com.au
--dick
Website died and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Last edited:

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Called RACT (roadside assistance) for a jump start to go and have new battery fitted but when the service guy showed up, he had my new battery with him.
All fitted and I can once again start the Van. Scangauge now shows 14 volts.

Top Bottom