PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changed - now runs louder? or is it me?

labudski
04-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Just did my first oil change (0w40 mobil 1 euro) on my 2006 roadtrek - t1n. Its got 25500 miles. last oil change was done @ 25000 but 2 yrs ago... So i figured Id change it. It was done by dodge dealer and they used a 15w40 non synthetic.
So---after changing the oil and filter it seems to have that "diesel" sound a bit louder... It could be me - but i think it is.... Any ideas?? Is something wrong?

*the only other difference between what is noted above was the level on the dipstick. with the old oil prior to change the level indicated pretty close to the edge of the full mark. With my new oil change (9.5 qts) it measures dead center between the full and low marks. both checked at running temp and allowed to sit for 5 mins.

I might just be paranoid....

Thanks for any help
Rob

**can the oil filter be removed and put back without losing lots of oil all over?

Tooth Fairy
04-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Im thinking the thicker grade oil the dealer used was deadening the sound somewhat.

sailquik
04-25-2015, 10:06 PM
labudski,
With only 25.5k miles on your 2006 OM-647 engine, there should be no reason not to run the correct Mobil
1 0W-40 European Car Formula oil.
The fact that it had the thicker 15W-40 non-synthetic oil in before might have deadened the engine noise a
little when the engine is cold should not prevent you from running the correct spec. oil.
As far as the oil filter, if you let it drain out (get the engine up to full operating temp first) of the plastic
filter canister for about 1/2 hour, you should lose very little oil when removing the oil filter canister
with the correct 14 flat Sprinter oil filter socket/tool.
Use any other tool and you may crush or crack the plastic canister.
Hope this helps,
Roger

cahaak
04-26-2015, 04:28 AM
There are all sorts of 15W40 oils that meet spec for the 2006. May make sense to use a 0W or 5W 40 oil for colder operation, but there is no need to if that is not an issue. My guess is that you are hearing things. Once the van is up to operating temp, both the old and new oils have very similar viscosities, so I don't think you are hearing any differences there.

Chris

Tooth Fairy
04-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Some interesting stuff on oil here. (http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm)

Aqua Puttana
04-26-2015, 10:36 AM
There are all sorts of 15W40 oils that meet spec for the 2006. May make sense to use a 0W or 5W 40 oil for colder operation, but there is no need to if that is not an issue. My guess is that you are hearing things. Once the van is up to operating temp, both the old and new oils have very similar viscosities, so I don't think you are hearing any differences there.

Chris
:thumbup:

I believe that it is easy to get hyper-sensitive after changing something about our vehicles because there can be expectation. I know that has happened to me.

That said, I normally run 5w-40 or 0w-40 of various brands. I ran 15w-40 for a short time. I've never noticed any difference in engine noises with any of the oils, but maybe I missed something? :idunno:

:2cents: vic

labudski
04-27-2015, 02:44 AM
checked the oil filter - thank you LuckyDawgz Jim ! and it was not fully seated, maybe a 1/4 inch off... pushed in. Also changed the fuel filter today - 1st time as well. Purrs like a lion!!! now just finish the waxing,,,, and Ready for the summer!!

Thanks!
Rob