PDA

View Full Version : Dang squirrels, or: It's Hot in Here

jtodd
04-25-2015, 01:38 AM
I have lots of squirrels on my property, and at this time of year they get suicidal and insane. I spotted a few of them running out of my car/truck shed the other day, so I figured it was time to get trapping. I nabbed two of them today in a live trap, and drove them a few miles away and released them. I noticed on the way back that my heat was on, and no matter what I did to the thermostat settings that the air coming out of the vents was hot. Maximum hot. I did some readings here on the various things (clearing out the sensor grate, looking at fuses) but no dice. So I opened the hood and sure enough, something is amiss - the squirrels have chewed through a vacuum line. I am not sure if it's related, but I suspect strongly that it is.

I tried to find the other end of the hose, but no luck. Where does this thing go? Is it the vacuum for the HVAC actuators? I see one end of the brown hose goes into the master cylinder, but the other end didn't seem to have an obvious squirrel-chewed mating line hanging down anywhere.

It's a 2004 TN1 2500.

http://www.loligo.com/sprinter/IMG_20150424_180845.jpg
http://www.loligo.com/sprinter/IMG_20150424_180822.jpg
http://www.loligo.com/sprinter/IMG_20150424_180837.jpg

Next time, I'm mulching the squirrels.

JT

Tooth Fairy
04-25-2015, 02:02 AM
The other end goes to the fresh air flap, it lives in the blower housing on the left side of the vehicle, its just above the battery on mine but mines a left hand drive so may be different.

Edit:-
Just looked at the pics again, your blower will be on the right hand side......durhhh:rolleyes:

jtodd
04-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Hmm.... I suspect some differences in the right/left drive variants, but I'll try to find the housing.

bc339
04-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Check the recirculation door actuator. It's on the far right side of the AC/heater housing. There is a two wire electrical connector and the brown vacuum line on the back of the actuator.

This will not cause the temperature to run hot. I'm guessing that the squirrels got to the wiring on the heater water valve. Check the electrical connector on the heater water valve that is located above the engine on the right side, roughly below the right windshield wiper shaft. The valve is controlled electrically by the Temp selector. It takes a 12 VDC pulsed signal to keep it closed (cold) - full hot is no voltage signal.

Bruce

jtodd
04-25-2015, 04:29 AM
Check the recirculation door actuator. It's on the far right side of the AC/heater housing. There is a two wire electrical connector and the brown vacuum line on the back of the actuator.

This will not cause the temperature to run hot. I'm guessing that the squirrels got to the wiring on the heater water valve. Check the electrical connector on the heater water valve that is located above the engine on the right side, roughly below the right windshield wiper shaft. The valve is controlled electrically by the Temp selector. It takes a 12 VDC pulsed signal to keep it closed (cold) - full hot is no voltage signal.

Bruce

Bruce -
That certainly sounds like a possible solution if that's the way the wiring works - it would make sense that they chewed through the electrical at the same time as the vacuum. When it's daylight again, I'll go out and take a look. I need to get a top side creeper one of these days so I can get my head in there and look around better rather than standing on boxes.

JT

Gordon Smith
04-25-2015, 12:20 PM
JT: My wife, who is a biologist, tells me that it is silly to relocate pest species, like most common rodents. They have high reproductive rates, adapt quickly, and seldom are able to successfully establish new territories when relocated anyway (all the good resources are already taken there). She says that unless you have the giant soft-hearted gene on your chromosomes, and cannot dispatch an animal, it's better to just pop the pests, since they probably won't survive or reproduce in their new digs anyway. She says a small 22 caliber handgun is the best form of pest control, if the species of rodent is too large for a snap-trap. For what it's worth...

hayduke
04-25-2015, 09:25 PM
I dont know about squirrels, but I have had lots of expensive problems from rats eating wires,and the only thing that has worked is leaving the hood open. They even tip-toed around those sticky traps that covered the top of the engine and the battery the last time.

CJPJ
04-25-2015, 11:14 PM
http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

:2cents:

obie
04-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Squirrels are just rats with furry tails.