PDA

View Full Version : 5 o-rings on oil filter?

optik1
04-24-2015, 11:59 AM
So, I was doing my first sprinter oil change this morning, and noticed that the mid-sized ring had a little pull-tab almost, and was kinda oddly flat-shaped instead of round. The smallest size was also kinda flat, but no pull-tab. When trying to install the new o-rings, it became clear that whoever did the previous oil change had apparently not bothered to remove the old o-rings before installing new ones, except for the large one. The copper washer was also missing. :bash:

Any chance this damaged anything? Any way to tell? I'm not sure if the double o-rings might have stretched something else out inside and now it won't seal properly with a single o-ring or what, and I'm not sure of any way to test it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Aqua Puttana
04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
All I can offer is opinion.

It seems unlikely to me that doubled o-rings would distort the sealing surfaces enough to prevent future single o-ring proper sealing. A visual inspection should be enough to reveal any possible problem(s). I have no previous experience with this

Copper washer? I presume you are referring to the drain plug? I don't recall any copper washer in the filter assembly.

vic

optik1
04-24-2015, 12:45 PM
I took a glance and didn't really see anything. After studying it more carefully, I'd have to agree that is seems unlikely to have caused damage. The engine side is metal, and since the inside washers weren't crushed like the outside ones, I'm guessing the plastic underneath probably wasn't deformed. It's possible that the outside washers rode up and out of the way and no harm was done. I didn't look that closely before I removed them because I wasn't looking for extra washers. No idea how long it has been like this though. I bought it coming up on a year ago, but have only just recently started driving it really. It needed the rear end replaced when I bought it, so it spend a lot of time parked/up on blocks. There's no oil change sticker and no receipts, so no idea who did it when.

And yes, the copper washer on the drain plug is what I was referring to. Thanks for making sure I wasn't cramming a copper washer into the filter assembly somewhere, I can't imagine that would end well.

cahaak
04-24-2015, 02:36 PM
You will be fine just using the correct # (3) of o rings in the right place. It will be the o rings that distort, not the filter stem or housing. Some folks are just lazy or don't pay attention I guess. Make sure the large o ring is in the correct place so it seals correctly.

Chris