PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter rear differential noise

lickzee
04-24-2015, 03:53 AM
I have done many repairs on this Sprinter, it is a 2004 and just got over 200,000 miles on it. This sprinter was purchase in Vegas and drive back to Toronto about 4 years ago. I never paid any attention to the noise but it always been there. The emergency brake had stuck so I when under to free up the cable and that is when I saw the oil on the rear diff. I also had the turbo cutting off on me. I usually do all the repair myself but being too cold I took it to a sprinter mechanic. I use to get a vibration every time I accelerate and was told it was the torque converter going bad. The noise he said it the rear diff and need to be rebuild. He also found the turbo resonator crack. I had him replace the resonator.. Now when I drive there is no vibration the acceleration is perfect so I now believe the torque converter was not the problem for the vibration.
This is what happen on the rear diff, the noise is more like ah humming noise and only there when I let go of the accelerator, once I keep a steady pressure on the peddle the noise will not be heard but once I let go of the gas it hum as if it is a bearing.
Once there is a SLIGHT bit of torque on the peddle it goes away but as soon as I let go it hums. I am wonder if anyone has this problem and if they fix it and what was the fix.

Eric Experience
04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Lichzee.
The noise you describe could be the tail shaft center bearing. Remove it and repack it with grease. Eric.

lickzee
05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
I had the rear diff completely rebuilt. no more noise works great.

Troubleboy
03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
I had the rear diff completely rebuilt. no more noise works great.
How much did that end up costing?