Sprinter 209CDI 2008 - Engine Cut out - Yaw rate sensor? (UK)

madmatuk

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Auto Sprinter 209 CDI, which is having some issues, it is a long story but to cut it short.....

Last summer i went travelling Eastern Europe, whilst in Albania ( 40 degrees! ) i had a major auto gear malfunction. It turns out the wiring was melted and shorting as it was resting on part of the exhaust, this was fixed and problem solved ( For the equivalent of £10 :D ) , or so i thought.

Intermittently since then I have had the ESP light come on sometimes with the tyre light and always the high beam ( blue light ). Also some of these times the engine cuts out completely, leaving me with no power assisted steering and in some crappy situations.

I am lucky enough to have access to a Star system ( although i dont know much about it ) which is giving me the following :

And apparent possible fixes as below ...

What do you guys think? Sensor fried, Wiring issue or some other issue not mentioned by STAR?

Any and all help in diagnosing and solving this will be most welcome, cheers in advance.

Mat.

3mbusa

Mat,

Could it be the infamous "Y" cable from the alternator to the starter to the battery (see above recent post and you should do a search for this cable problem)? :rolleyes:

madmatuk

Hi 3mbusa,

Thanks for your post, this is the first time i have heard of this problem, i will read and search thoroughly now and let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the tip :)

Mat.

madmatuk

Hi again, quick update to situation.

Having reset all faults, i attempted a small journey to the local shops. The Same fault happened three times, ( the engine did not cut out though ). Upon restart the lights are cleared until it happens again. The only thing in common "seems" to be when i am braking.

I retested errors with STAR errors the same as before ( Yaw Rate Sensor etc.. ) I checked the voltage of my battery while engine not running, Voltage is floating around 12.4 - 12.7 with ignition on. With engine started Voltage is 14.4 - 14.7 with lights on and full AC blasting.

With this in mind i am thinking my Y-Cable is probably ok at the moment? Incidentally what is the part number or correct terminology for this part?

I was thinking could my brake switch be causing this problem, i have read it can be the cause of all sorts of issues, i would of thought STAR would tell me this though.....

I also took a look under the drivers seat where the yaw rate sensor is situated, it is a right mess, loose modules ( not the yaw rate, that is fixed ) and wires all over the place, surely these should be mounted securely ?

Anyway back to the drawing board for now, any suggestions/help welcome.

Regards
Mat.

madmatuk

Hi all,

Another update, i thought it may be wise to check tyre pressures, i found the rear tyre pressures 25% lower than the front, after inflating to correct values i did a live data test using STAR.

( i didnt think to do this test prior... doh! )

Anyway - the road test completed all sensor and speed checks as good, no problem.

I also noticed that my Stop light switch is permanantly operated ( does this mean on? ) wether i press my brake pedal or not, this is a little concerning, surely this isnt right?

Here is the image.

Any input welcome, i am about to take it out on a run now, see how it goes, fingers crossed!

Top Bottom