stranded, help needed California

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
Hi folks! It's me again. So after just fixing my alternator on the side of the road (thanks to aqua puttana for his wonderful write up) my transmission decided to quit all the way out by plasket creek on highway 1.

Basically the story goes, I climb underneath, there's tranny fluid everywhere, coming out from where the tranny meets the engine.

Kind campers have limped us into a camp spot for the time being, and I'm working on a tow. Here's my question, does anybody know a good place to take my sprinter to get it checked out?

Also if you want to help me diagnose it, I wouldn't mind. ;) definitely looks like its leaking tranny fluid from the seal. What would make it blow a seal?

(BTW to put my location into perspective, the only gas station charges 7 dollars a gallon)

Its all part of the adventure. Sigh.. :cheers:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
You are in Big Sur with a problem.You are screwed.Maybe trade it for a VW van if you can find one running.I used to live near there,and would never have bought a Sprinter if I still did.And the restaurants and even grocery have the same markup as the gas,but the view from Nepenthe is worth it.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I just searched the MB service locator for you (I know the issues with phone and internet down there) and the nearest authorized service is San Jose.Not good news.I know the MB dealer in Monterey and they are very pricey and probably dont do Sprinters.I hope you have towing insurance

surlyoldbill

AAA has free 200 mile towing, and you can buy your $125 membership on the spot and use it immediately.

Some seal is probably toast, and most mechanics could replace that. Proper diagnosis is key, but I don't think you'll need a certified Sprinter mechanic for this repair.

Basically the story goes, I climb underneath, there's tranny fluid everywhere, coming out from where the tranny meets the engine.

Its all part of the adventure. Sigh.. :cheers:
That doesn't sound wonderful.

Some things which I would explore.

Your transmission may have just quit because the level is too low. If it is a main seal then topping off the fluid and monitoring the level to add when necessary may get you back on the road.

Look very closely to determine if the fluid actually came from inside the bell housing. A line or hose leak can spray under pressure fluid all over the place and make it difficult to pinpoint a leak.

If it is a steel line or hose leak I have had some very good success using a short slit section of fuel hose or heater hose to fashion a rubber sealing sleeve. I then use a short section of PVC or copper tubing sliced into a saddle to distribute the force of hose clamps to seal the slit sealing hose to the leaking steel line.

At other times I have slit a short piece of PVC sink drain extension pipe. It's flexible enough to allow me to "roll" it around the sealing rubber and then clamp with worm drive clamps. Sometimes it takes a bit of trimming to get to the correct "roll". That may even slow a leak in a hose, but I haven't tried that (yet).

A DIY dipstick can be fashioned from a piece of speedometer cable, garage door cable, or smaller sized hand drain auger. To get you into at least a ballpark range, some of the dimensions are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26808#post26808

Transmission "Hot" Check is here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=222107#post222107

Top off the fluid with any Dexron III rated transmission fluid. Valvoline MaxLife Dexron/Mercon (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Gallon) is one which I would use and leave in service without hesitation. If you see Dexron III on the label of any transmission fluid it will be good to use.

Your situation may be that once the fluid level is restored you may be able to limp on back to civilization. A 10 - 15 mile drive should give some idea of whether there is major issue or not. Your situation needs to be assessed as to whether it is better to bite the bullet for flatbed tow, or chance a failure somewhere else.

Good luck.

vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
You can try Ben who has a mobile Sprinter mechanic business located just north of San Francisco - https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=254621&

His contact is 707.217.8250.

Forewarning - Ben will get on the job but he will charge you his full rate for his driving time. Or at least he charged me for this and he didn't tell me. Perhaps call him and make sure he's clear with you how he bills. He was not clear with me and I was a little disappointed in the total cost. He also didn't fix the problem but he did go home, did some research on this forum, and then properly diagnosed my crankshaft sensor. Of course at that point I had to fix the problem myself and and this was after forking out around $700 for his 'services'.

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
Thanks for all the reply's, I don't have the internet connection to be able to reply to all of them, I will later.

Definitely is tranny fluid, all red. Its looks like its coming out of the bottom of the bell housing.

Walked to a campground and got some help, we put their only quart of tranny fluid in, and was able to limp it into the camp ground. Dripped tranny fluid the whole way, there is a line of fluid where we drove. Definitely not a small leak.

We've got a tow coming tomorrow, planning on going to San Luis obisbo. Planning on going to all automotive transmission there.

Thanks again for all the help, any more ideas are appreciated.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
If you're going to be in SLO (Go Mustangs) you should check out their farmers market Thursday evening and probably my favorite breakfast place in the world is Bon Temps Creole Cafe.. Get the Eggs Sardou with a side of fried green tomatoes. :)

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
If you're going to be in SLO (Go Mustangs) you should check out their farmers market Thursday evening and probably my favorite breakfast place in the world is Bon Temps Creole Cafe.. Get the Eggs Sardou with a side of fried green tomatoes. :)
Thanks. Will be there tomorrow! 1960 ME degree from CP.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks for all the reply's, I don't have the internet connection to be able to reply to all of them, I will later.

Definitely is tranny fluid, all red. Its looks like its coming out of the bottom of the bell housing.

Walked to a campground and got some help, we put their only quart of tranny fluid in, and was able to limp it into the camp ground. Dripped tranny fluid the whole way, there is a line of fluid where we drove. Definitely not a small leak.

We've got a tow coming tomorrow, planning on going to San Luis obisbo. Planning on going to all automotive transmission there.

Thanks again for all the help, any more ideas are appreciated.
I will be in SLO tomorrow. Send me a PM if I can help. Could drive you around as needed. I do not live there but will be visiting Thursday through Sunday.

Rebuilt Silver Star Transmissions have been recommended on this site. They will ship to a local installer.

http://www.silverstartransmission.com/#!

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
So, got it to all transmission in San Luis obisbo, sounds like there is a major oil leak between the torque converter and the oil pump. They didn't get it up on a platform, everything is totally full. So this diagnosis is a educated guess based on where the fluid is coming out of.

Sounds like we are looking at a rebuilt transmission Remove and replace.

Any ideas which way to go? I'm thinking these guys are going to be hard to beat concerning my situation.

Once again, thanka to this amazing community for all their help.

B

dmwaves

I reinforce idea of Silver Star transmissions- i had my transmission rebuilt under warranty at Cole Dodge in SLO and I supplied a rebuilt torque converter from Silver Star, no probs in last 60K miles. Doug

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
Decided to go the rebuilt silver star, and have it installed here. Just under $3000 tag. Not terrible considering.

We'll be checking out the farmers market, and the fried green tomato's.

Doug, that'd be amazing. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Blown away by the generousity of this community. Plan on taking some time to reply more thoroughly when we catch up on sleep. Wiped out after big sur.

All part of the adventure! Whew..

Top Bottom