PDA

View Full Version : No Heat to my Feet

Preston
04-20-2015, 01:01 AM
2004 2500 118" Low Roof

I purchased this about a year ago and living in California I didn't notice that I wasn't getting heat to the lower portion of my cabin. Driving north in Minnesota this winter in -20 degrees made it clear there was a problem. 3 pairs of socks still couldn't keep my feel warm.

Does anyone have suggestion on a fix?

I'm assuming there must be duct work to release heat there? I've tried adjusting all the dials on the panel and nothing brings heat to my feet!

sailquik
04-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Preston,
Close the vents on the top of the dash if you have them.
They only put out cold air or AC air.
Shut down the passenger side dash vents if you do not have a passenger,
Turn the diverter knob so it points down toward the floorboards.
Close off the dash vents in front of the driver to just enough flow to be
comfortable.
Turn the blower up to it's highest setting and turn the temp knob to it's highest setting.
If your 2004 is anything like the 2006 T1N I had, it will cook you out of the cab in about 15-20 minutes
and you will end up cutting back on the blower and the temperature dial.
If you don't have 4 speeds on your fan, if you cannot turn the diverter knob and notice a big difference in
where the air goes (warm or cold air here), or if changing the temperature knob does not actually change the
temp of the air flowing in from the blower, you have something very wrong.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Preston
04-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Hey there Roger!
Thanks for the detail in helping with this.
Something tells me I have a bad diverter knob or something. It doesn't turn smoothly, very choppy. I did the steps you suggested above and nothing has changed. Only the dash vents blow hot (which seems to be working fine). There is just now heat to the floor or to the defrost (windshield)... Since both floor and defrost aren't getting heat, would this be a switch or a??? Any suggestions?
Thanks again Roger!

jmoller99
04-21-2015, 01:46 PM
One common issue is that the cabin filter (which is under a cover, in the engine compartment) gets clogged (Its a HEPA filter) and when the airflow thru it is bad, not much air gets thru anything other than the dash vents. Many people don't even know its there, much less know that you need to replace it every other year (or more often, depending on how dusty it is around you).

If the vent control knob is hard to turn (a very common issue), if you can pop the radio out (its discussed on this site) you can lubricate the mechanism that rotates behind the knob - Get some spray lube (not WD-40!) at the hardware store and get it into the pull cables and the parts that move. If you don't want to pop out the radio, you can disassemble the dash parts (a very large effort compared to pulling the radio) and get to it that way.

Preston
04-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Hey, great suggestions / advice JMoller99. I can pop the radio easy and I'll try to lubricate the knob from the back side (sounds kinda naughty)... I have sprat lube that I can use. Great suggestion! And for the filter, it's worth a shot, I'll start with that and report back!

Thanks again!