PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Hose Blew Off T1N NAFTA 2001 - 2006

Missouri Blue
04-16-2015, 02:42 AM
I was towing a trailer (probably 3000 lb. total weight) today. Within a mile of my house I started hearing a hissing sound when I accelerated. I thought, "Well something is wrong, probably turbo related". Within 1/2 mile of home I accelerated and the hissing stopped and so did any feel of normal "power". I pulled into the driveway popped the hood and the turbo hose had blown off on the bottom side of the hard plastic piece that one of the sensors fits into. The clamp was still around the hose but kind of loose. I put the hose back on and tightened the clamp (maybe too much because it skipped a tooth/slipped at the end of my tightening). We'll see if it does it again tomorrow.

Here's the kicker: This is a brand new hose replaced less than 10k ago as preventative maintenance. When will I learn: If it isn't broke don't mess with it.

icarus
04-16-2015, 02:45 AM
Maybe bad clamp, if it is slipping? Is it an OEM clamp(s)?

Icarus

MercedesGenIn
04-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi there,
There is la ikely series of events that leads to a hose blowing completely off, this progression is not just restricted to vans, in fact it can apply to most turbo powered vehicles.

If any turbo joint or seal begins to leak pressure, even slightly then oil is carried with it through the gap. Pretty soon the oil begins to travel by capillary action around the hose lip, creeping under the clean area that lies underneath the clamped hose. Eventually - all nicely lubricated, the hose pops right off!

Always clean off the pipe/hose and any spigots when reassembling hoses, replacing clips where they look poor or suspect or that may could cause trouble.

For whatever reason it sounds as if a small leak developed, due in all probability to a not-so-good clamp-up from the hose clip, over a short time oil has just assisted its eventual release.

All the best
Steve

Missouri Blue
04-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Ha! I used the oil on the hose as lubricant for putting back on. I'll remove and replace clamp and clean hose for peace of mind. It was an eom clamp that was already assembled when I purchased the hose.

Oilburner
04-16-2015, 01:46 PM
As the rubber gets softer over the time (or harder as well) I always check tensions of clamps. Especially when is hot summer. It never hurts.

jmoller99
04-16-2015, 02:22 PM
My lower hose (from the turbo to the Intercooler) at the turbo, has blown off 2 times (2002/2003's don't have a turbo resonator). The hose i have is not cut squarely and is not long enough for me to trim any off of it. The first time it blew off was because I did not clamp it down well enough. The 2nd time it had slowly worked itself loose as a result of me not pulling the hose up as far as I could to mate up with the turbo outlet. I used brake cleaner to remove the oil from the inside of the hose and pulled it as much as possible against the turbo outlet before re clamping.

It has not happened since. Cleaning the oil out of the hose end and making sure that the surface that the hose is mating to is clean is key. The turbo is constantly changing the pressure in the hoses (up to a 32+ PSI Boost, depending on the altitude you are operating at), so the hoses flex a bit every time the pressure changes, they can work their way loose. Make sure that you are using the right hose clamps and you have them tight.

nsherida
03-24-2016, 02:32 PM
My problem is that the two connections near the top of the engine keep blowing off. They are on both sides of the plastic box with a small sensor wire. I can't go a mile without one or both blowing off. Any ideas?

One call a/c
03-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Restricted intercooler maybe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aqua Puttana
03-24-2016, 04:02 PM
A trick which I have used when I've been forced to use a non-barbed fitting to join two hoses for temporary repairs.

Before tightening the band style hose clamps slip a piece of small gauge wire under the two adjacent hose clamps. Stretch the wire taut and tighten both hose clamps. After the clamps are tightened, bend the wire back to itself and twist until snug. The wire will keep the hoses from being pushed off.

Alternatively the keeper wire can be attached to an appropriate stationary object to keep the hose end(s) in place.

:2cents: vic

nsherida
03-24-2016, 06:50 PM
There are no clamps to tighten and no place to put any.
This is an 08 with 3 L engine. The black box is on the top of the engine on the driver's side. It's between the intercooler and the engine. I just tried using Gorilla tape on both places, before and after the black box and used zip ties to reinforce it. This time it lasted almost 2 miles. I'm sure I'm not mustering up enough pressure for this. I wonder about putting a larger hose over both sections with clamps on both ends of each. hmmmmm

nsherida
03-24-2016, 06:54 PM
I have some trips coming up. Will it hurt the Sprinter to drive it with no turbo, or will the limp mode make it grind to a halt?

Aqua Puttana
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
There are no clamps to tighten and no place to put any.
This is an 08 with 3 L engine. The black box is on the top of the engine on the driver's side. It's between the intercooler and the engine. I just tried using Gorilla tape on both places, before and after the black box and used zip ties to reinforce it. This time it lasted almost 2 miles. I'm sure I'm not mustering up enough pressure for this. I wonder about putting a larger hose over both sections with clamps on both ends of each. hmmmmm
2008 NCV3...

You tagged on in the T1N section NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2006.

You have an NCV3 model (2008).

You'll get better answers by starting a thread in the NCV3 section..

:cheers: vic