PDA

View Full Version : Turbo keeps shutting down :(

project_x
04-13-2015, 11:08 PM
I have a 2006 T1N Passenger with 173k km (110k miles).
Two days ago I lost the turbo while driving on the highway (limited to 2500rpm), I used Torque and my OBD adapter to scan the codes..it had P2099 underboost.
I reset the flag and the turbo worked fine again..reading 0-19psi on torque, which is suspect it 14-33psi boost.
I drove it again today and for the first 30 minutes, all worked properly...and then it stopped again

I checked the actuator, and it seemed to move freely.
What should I go thru next? Hoses which ones..i
It is a 2006, can I clean the egr? I usually only see info for pre-2004 egr cleaning.

Thanks,
Rob

sailquik
04-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Rob,
Have you checked the turbo resonator on your 2006 OM-647 engine.
Often the top seam on the OEM resonator splits after a long period of use, and this allows
the boost to escape at higher boost levels, and you get an under boost code.
Often over boost (too much boost/MAP) and under boost (sensors detect that there is not enough
boost/MAP for the current engine demand) episodes come in pairs, particularly with the turbo resonator
seam failures, as the over boost opens the seam up, then the sensors detect an under boost condition
and your engine management system reads the under/low boost sensors and puts you in LHM.
Have a good look at your turbo resonator and all the turbo hoses/fittings/hose clamps to ensure that
something is not simply opening up and allowing the MAP/boost pressure to escape....putting you in
LHM.
Hope this helps,
Roger

project_x
04-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Does this look like it is split at the seam?
I will remove it tomorrow and check it out.

sailquik
04-14-2015, 12:45 AM
project_X,
No, the resonator in your photo looks good.
A leak/crack is normally indicated by traces of oil from the inside of the resonator.
Be sure to manually palpate all the turbo hoses.
The splits are often underneath or behind and hard to spot unless you squeeze/
palpate the hose to get the split to open up.
Also check all the hose clamps.
Hope this helps,
Roger

project_x
04-15-2015, 06:53 PM
I have tried palpating all hoses for the turbo, and haven't found anything obvious.

Is there a sensor that might be failing causing this? If i reset the P2099 flag, the turbo comes back immediately and keeps running for some time. it is not reproducible at nay specific boost levels (although it always fails at normal running boost, not peak).

fwaggle
04-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Don't forget to check for vacuum leaks as well.