PDA

View Full Version : Split intercooler hose?

Kmoderndesign
04-12-2015, 04:17 PM
I have 2 codes for fuel injector open circuit. P0201 and p0204. I also noticed a rushing air sound when pulling out of the driveway. I found the intercooler on the passenger side split. I've only had the van 2 days and the previous owner said it will stall and not restart after driving 10 or 15 minutes. It will restart after it cools down. My question is which of these issues cause the van to shut off and not restart? I have not driven it long enough to experience it myself , I drove it home , it seems to run well except for a lack of power. 2006 244k miles

mehr4x4
04-12-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm not near my computer to tell you what those codes are but we lost an intercooler hose on our 04 and it threw a check engine light. After a bit it would but the van into limp mode but never shut down. It's not good to drive very far without the proper boost. Is the actual cooler split or just a hose? I've heard of people using duct tape around a boost hose to buy a little time. We happen to be near a sprinter shop so we were able to fix ours right away. God was with us :cool:
Hth
Eric

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

beachbum57
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
You might try the search function for no start when hot. There are many discussions about this very thing. In fact, there is one currently being discussed regarding "03 stalls while driving, no start".

If I remember correctly, it is probably a fuel injector problem. And you said that you are getting codes for fuel injector.

The split hose is probably causing the loss of power.

sailquik
04-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Kmoderndesign,
What sort of diagnostic scanner developed your P201 and P204 codes?
Could be an injector #1 and Injector #4 issue, but with purely generic codes there is no way
to tell if this is correct information and you have a couple of bad injectors, or it could be something
else entirely....as simple as a fuel filter that needs to be changed.
LHM is there to protect your expensive engine from being damaged by being driven when all it's
systems are not functioning optimally.
Find a DAD or DRB-III unit to pull the actual MB specific codes and you will have a much better idea
of what is wrong and what the best remedy is.
The "rushing air" sound would indicate a pressure leak somewhere in the turbo/intake plumbing,
perhaps even a simple turbo resonator failure (this happens often with the OM-647).
If the intercooler is actually split, and your turbo boost pressure (MAP) is escaping out the
crack/split in the intercooler, get a new intercooler that can give you the full 35-37 PSIA boost
pressure.
Then go after the possible injector codes. If it cannot develop sufficient boost due to the leak,
it will set LHM every time you ask for more power than the engine can make without normal
boost/MAP pressure.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Kmoderndesign
04-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Great info Rodger. Thanks a bunch. The hose from the turbo to the intercooler has a huge gap. The codes are for faulty injectors I belive. I'll start with fresh filters and intercooler Hosea the. Chase down the injector issue.

surlyoldbill
04-13-2015, 01:36 AM
Leak off test might identify injector problems, it did for me.