PDA

View Full Version : MB Grille Swap - I Messed Up..

streetworkxs
04-12-2015, 07:08 AM
I guess you can say I rushed this task and am now regretting it. On the hood I removed the trim to allow the circle cut out. I removed the chrome piece, but the rubber portion below it stayed. I've been using a heat gun on it with no luck. Goof off, didn't work. Fishing line didn't cut far enough :thinking:

Any other suggestions how to remove this super adhesive rubber?

lindenengineering
04-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Well that'll teach yah!
The Dodge Freightliner gremlins at work!:laughing:

Just be glad it wasn't an Irish made van you or you would have had the leprechauns after you bejezus !:lol:

Seriously though see if you can get a paddle wheel decal remover to it . The paddle wheels are soft plastic and won't marr the paint as it removes the rubber .

See;-http://www.amazon.com/Follex-ERW-6-Decal-Eraser-Wheel/product-reviews/B00BMU9CEM

Now we use a fancy schmancy tool with this wheel but the paddle wheel and a shop drill will work.
Dennis

mehr4x4
04-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Napa carries a decal removing wheel that looks like a giant round eraser on a stick that you put in your drill, don't stay in one place too long once you get past the rubber, it can burn the paint in rare cases. They also carry "wood grain panel" remover. It's a heavy duty adhesive removing spray. It might take a few applications. Give them a shot. I have find sometimes a variety of different things are required to get sticky stuff off. Oh yeah, try W40 to. That's about all it's good for anyways ;)
Good luck
Eric

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

streetworkxs
04-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to pick all that up, i'll get back here when I have success :thumbup: