4 cyl problems

waf

I have 6k miles on my 2014 4 cyl 2500 crew van. I have been back to the dealer five times with a check engine light + one recall item. Is anyone else having problems with their 4 cyl sprinter?

My 2010 6 cyl has not had a single problem.

waf

Outstanding pete. How many miles? Was your van involved with the pulley/oil recall?

I have had mine in for an traction control computer replace to a Oxygen sensor, and a few inbetween.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I have 6k miles on my 2014 4 cyl 2500 crew van. I have been back to the dealer five times with a check engine light + one recall item. Is anyone else having problems with their 4 cyl sprinter?

My 2010 6 cyl has not had a single problem.
Any idea what the codes are.???
Always curious !:thinking:
Cheers Dennis

sailquik

waf,
I too, like Dennis, would like to know your MB diagnostics codes and exactly what problems you are having.
My 2014 OM-651 2.143 li/7 speed 516 series (3500/170 wb in the USA) has over 53,000 absolutely trouble free miles.
Roger

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
WAF, don't think your alone here. I also have a new 2014 4cyl, picked up in May 2014. Now about 15K on it. When it was in the Nov/Dec time frame I got the CEL and rolled it into the dealer for the CEL light as well as the service. They re-flashed the firmware as I best recall. All was supposed to be good but it came back the week later. Back again and they tried to fix it. They thought they had the fix but it cropped up again after a week and was back a 3rd time. This time they got it and it hasn't been back since.

I don't blame the shop for it taking 3 times to fix the problem. It was under warranty so no $$ out of my pocket and I enjoyed the free coffee. I don't remember if codes were showing up in the system when this happened or not or whether they were the right codes or not. I knew the techs were doing their best to figure it out. CEL lights are hard to diagnose if there is minimal info to go on. Even if you are connected to the mother ship.

Good luck with your CEL light. Keep us informed as to what's up.

stew

the dude

Yup, back on the road again ,or, back in the shop again . With only 12,000 miles & no " A " oil change yet , back to MB dealer . ESP & cruise control light on . They disappeared , but now , engine light's on . They replaced cable & pin assembly to computer board . I too received my van in 5/2014 . First warranty work started 10/14 -7,000 miles with 1-NOX upstream sensor . Then 12/14- , both (2 ) NOX sensors replaced along with chain tensioner recall replacement . 2/15 - ESP code which went away , on restart . 4/15 -back , for ESP & cruise control engine light issue . Hey safety first but :thumbdown::thumbdown::censored::censored:

glegsurf

I have a 2015 Crew 2500 I-4. I had one recall a few months ago, for a door latch bolt issue. They were mildly corroded, so the dealer replaced them, and free Starbucks while I waited. Out the door 45 minutes later.
My vans been great, with around 5,800 miles on it.

waf

Thanks for sharing guys. My CEL has come on for the sixth time, with a total of 7k miles. I don't wish anyone else to have these same problems, but if you do... You are not alone.

The code which comes up is always the same with my reader. From what I understand, one needs the MB shop computer to receive specific information from the CEL indication.

Not sure what my next move is going to be. I am going to start investigating the Florida Lemon Law codes.

sailquik

waf,
So, what shop have you been using for your warranty work?
Do they not give you an invoice with the DTC's (MB Diagnostic Trouble Codes and sub codes) that they investigated?
Are they NOT using the MB SDS (Star Diagnosis System) when working on your Sprinter?
Have you always gone back to the same shop for warranty repairs?
I just don't get it.
Has the shop called/emailed Daimler Vans LLC Engineering Group in South Carolina/ or worked with MB Engineering
in Germany.
Have you talked to the MB Sprinter regional rep about your issues?
I have 57,000 absolutely trouble free miles on my 2014 OM-651 2.143 liter 4 cylinder 2 stage turbocharged engine and 7G-Tronic
7 speed transmission.
About 10% of these miles were towing a 5,140 lb. 14' x 7'x 10' cargo trailer, so it's not been all easy back and forth to work and
commuting 320 miles 3-4 times a month.
If the shop you are using is a fully authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer, there should be a print out on virtually
every maintenance or repair item ever performed on your Sprinter, in the data base, by the VIN #.
Hope this helps,
Roger

lindenengineering

I would second what Roger has written.
This 4 cylinder engine is a sweety and such a joy to drive.
By far my favourite over the 6 cylinder unit.

I am always interested to read what faults are showing up and possible resolutions, and so far I haven't seen anything serious in my shop---Not like some engines I can mention!!:rolleyes:
Dennis

dnshaf

I too have a 2014 I4 Crew 170 and I am currently at 173,878 miles without a CEL or LHM. Still running sweet and no timing chain issues. Only problems have been with the AC (earlier post) and had a broken bolt on the exhaust. I will be giving a full report next month when I hit 200k.
Dan

Top Bottom