PDA

View Full Version : Help! LHM mode 800 miles from home

ascensionist
04-07-2015, 12:37 AM
I've search the forum fir an answer (and maybe one exists, but I could not find it). Basically, just looking for any guidance and/of push in the right direction.

I swear I've had everything on my 2005 2500 replaced over the past 2 years--was hopeful that I'd finally made the thing "reliable"--apparently not.

750 miles in on a 2,200 mile round trip from Seattle to Utah, my rig went into limp mode while traveling uphill at around 80 MPH (which was the speed limit, incidentally.). No engine light, no overheating, no smoke (at least I don't remember seeing any). Reset the computer by turning the vehicle off and then back on--drove 80 miles with no further problems . Looked under the hood suspecting a split hose, but could find nothing. Replaced the turbo resonator 2,000 miles ago (with another OEM POS); I suspect it's okay (is my suspicion well founded?).

Now sitting in Salt Lake City enjoying an IPA and writing to you fine folks. Kind of at a loss--not quite sure what the next best step would be. Should I have a Sprinter technician look at it before progressing further (this is my default plan unless I hear compelling advice to the contrary). Maybe a technician can pick up a code that I cannot (I'm kind of hoping because I don't know what to tell a technition to look for).

Any advice appreciated!

lindenengineering
04-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Well I am assuming you have a check engine light on!!
If so you need to get someone to scan it. Even at a pinch Advance Autoparts/ O' Reilly might give some codes that can be used as an indication..

You really need someone in town with a domestic Snap On scanner but with Euro cable and keys 17 & 20. All prompts found in the Dodge/Chrysler program.

At this stage of the day I suggest you enjoy the IPA and have a go in the AM.
Cheers & best of luck
Dennis

vanski
04-07-2015, 12:53 AM
I'd keep going and take it into Linden Engineering in Golden CO... I had a very similar issue a few years back and he figured out the root issue in 20 mins. I had a service completed and some work completed on a pesky EGR at the Freightliner dealer (Warner Truck Center) in Salt Lake City. I found Warner to be honest but unless you have a stored code I doubt they will be able to figure it out.

skill3
04-07-2015, 01:58 AM
One time mine went into LHM without a code. It was the upper turbo hose. I never found a crack or split, but replacing it fixed the problem. Another time it went into LHM it didn't set a code, but it was the EGR. 2006 3500 Good Luck!!

Ciprian
04-07-2015, 02:17 AM
80 mph going uphill? Try to slow down and let it breathe a bit. In my 693k miles I probably got up to 80mph three times. Never blew a POS resonator either. I had one replaced under warranty, around 50k miles, but I suspect that it wasn't bad at all, I just let them do their thing on their dime.

Ascensionist, I am not beating you up, just trying to tell you how I treat my vehicle. I suspect if you don't change the way you drive it, you will have more problems in the future. Good luck.

Thanasis
04-07-2015, 02:18 AM
Is your turbo resonator oily at the seam?
Is its clamp tight?
After having gone through 2 TR's in 40,000 miles, I decided to install the TR eliminator.

ascensionist
04-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Thanks all for the kind replies--really appreciate it! Ciprian: I appreciate the thoughts--fortunately, this was the first time I've driven my rig 80 mphs; I'll take it a bit easier from now on. If you were facing a long uphill drive (up and over a pass for instance), what is the max speed at which you'd drive your Sprinter? I have very little knowledge of Diesel engines (or how to run them efficiently). Would like my Sprinter to be around for a long time; if I can alter my driving habits to make that happen I'm all for it!

Will have Warner scan for codes tomorrow and give my rig a once over--guess if nothing is found, I'll keep on trucking (but more gently). Sprinternewby: thanks for recommending Linden, unfortunately, it's many hours away in the wrong direction.

skill3: upper turbo hose was my guess, however, can't see anything wrong with it. TR looks okay as well.

sailquik
04-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Try 65 mph/manually downshift to 4th gear, keep the RPM around 3200 as this is where your T1N with the OM-647 engine makes it's maximum power with the minimum % engine load possible.
Downshifting depends a lot on how steep the grade is, but trying to pull any grade or push through strong headwinds
may make manually downshifting the best thing to do.
A Scan Gauge II (or similar) might help with determining what's causing the issue as you would be able to see the MAP
(Manifold Absolute Pressure) in real time and determine if it drops for some reason (or spikes too high) just before
your ECM sets LHM.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Tulisan9k
04-07-2015, 06:36 AM
The T1N engine is red-lined at 4,150 RPM, and its max speed is governor controlled to about 85mph. It may be you were operating the vehicle (uphill, 80mph) at very close to its max operating points and therefore very stressed. The engine and all those operating accessories are probably being shaken to bits, and those large turbo hoses are near their max operating pressures. Something is bound to break or blow up if the stress is kept up over several minutes/miles especially if those parts have much miles already. From what I have read from forum members who are able to track engine load and RPMs the T1N engine is most efficient and therefore less stressed at around 2600 to 3,000 rpm. As Ciprian suggests "Try to slow down and let it breathe a bit"

rimjaine
04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I have a 2005, same as you. It's gone into limp 2 times because of turbo resonator, and 2 times because of dirty fuel filter. I replaced the TR with the resonator eliminator, I'm not going to keep buying poorly designed parts from OEM.
Later, Jim

icarus
04-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Just to further the point. If you "want to keep it for a long time" you will have to realize that it is not a rocket sled, nor a Big Detroit iron V8. As has been suggested, get a scan gauge (ultra gauge) keep the load and RPM in reasonable values. 80 mph up hill is probably driving the engine at or very near its limit, and running any engine at or near it's limit for a long time does not enhance longevity.

Icarus

Aqua Puttana
04-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Back to the LHM event...

Scanning for DTC's is always a good idea, but you may not find anything.

Very often LHM without a MIL aka CEL lit traces to leaks in the charge air system. Going uphill at 80 mph would have your engine operating at pretty much max turbo system pressure (20 psig). That stresses things. That may have blown a hose or created some other small air leak in the charge air system.

It doesn't take much of a leak to make the computer monitoring circuits unhappy. Small air leaks are sometime notoriously difficult to track down. As has been suggested, carefully inspect for signs of oil on hoses and other charge air components. Failing that revealing anything you may need to remove the hoses and palpate them (bend them around... I just like that word) to help reveal small slits.

Good luck. vic

MillionMileSprinter
04-07-2015, 02:56 PM
I second what Vic (Aqua Puttana) said. Given that you were asking a TON from it when it went into LHM for you, I would think that points to the turbo/charged air system. And the rubber hoses are the most suspect, especially if you are confident the turbo resonator is good.
And if you go to a Stealership, don't let them replace the Turbo! It seems that their shop troubleshooting manual calls for the replacement of everything in the turbo system if they suspect a leak somewhere. So even if you have a small cut in one of the hoses, they may replace the turbo "just in case".