Carrier Bearing

benventerrr

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 144" wb sprinter and have just started noticing a whining noise coming from the transmission about midway back in the driveshaft. I took it to a mechanic that is familiar with Sprinters and he determined that it was a worn out carrier bearing. They had a bit of a hard time locating the right part but ultimately found one that was $366. The mechanic said that it's not imperative that I replace the bearing right away and I decided not to because that seems like a high price.

Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much the bearing should cost. I believe it needs to be for a 2 piece axle and it needs a shim.

Any thoughts on how important it is to get the bearing taken care of?

Cheers,
Ben

G

Gordon Smith

There has been oodles of discussion here, about the problem carrier bearings. Some opinions are that once you hear it with your ear, that replacement is required and inevitable. Some opinions are that it may just be the proverbial "squeaky wheel" (bearing) that "gets the grease" (spray some lithium lube on it) and the noise disappears. MB DID upgrade the bearings by incorporating a little protective rim in front, to keep the noise-producing grit from getting into the bearing, but I don't have the part number or price. Interestingly, the bearing that is usually problematic, produces a squealing noise that seems to come from under the floorboards and between the front seats. Maybe some of our more knowledgable forum members can give you some good advice…or search links.

Top Bottom