No Crank no Start when warm

rebelyell

I love titters
Hey everyone, I've been doing some searching and I've read alot of threads about people that had issues with the sprinters not starting that are similar to mine. Alot of people have found out that their problem was the SAM module. But I have more symptoms then they did. Anyone that might be able to point me in the right direction please do, thanks in advance.

This is an 04 2500. It starts fine when cold, but if you turn it off after its warmed up, it won't start for at minimum, 2 hours and its cooled off. Not only will it not start, but the electric fans kick on and stay on when you turn the key to the ON position. Also, the scanner is unable to communicate with the van. It can communicate with a few modules but can't pull codes etc.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? Or where I should start looking?

*EDIT* When I pull codes (when its cold) there are no codes besides glowplug codes.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

ECU relay or fuse block under steering wheel isn't making contact, or you need to remove and clean all the ground wires coming from the battery and the engine ground strap.

Probably bad fuse block under steering wheel. Replacement is $100 and includes fuses/relays. People post here a few times a week with the same problem. Try cleaning the ground contacts first (don't forget the engine ground), if that doesn't work, try jiggling the ECU relay when it won't start. Maybe all you have to do is clean the contacts on the relay...

misterbond10

Sounds like a starter solenoid. The right mechanic can bypass the solenoid to see if the starter will turn over. There is a gap that opens up when warm and the electricity cannot jump the gap. When cooled the gap closes.

surlyoldbill

If the fan comes on but it won't start; that's the sign that it's the ECU relay not getting juice (or enough juice) for some reason.

rebelyell

I love titters
Thanks, I'm sure I'll find the problem quick.

I can't believe how common this problem is, we have about 10 sprinters in the fleet that I've been working on for 5 years. Thank God its only happened once, seems like it should be a simple fix. I thought I had seen every wacked out sprinter problem there was before this happened. I really hate these things...

rebelyell

I love titters
Fuse block under the steering column... I'm not gonna waste time cleaning connections... its cheap, especially at wholesale price... I think it was less the $60....

Top Bottom