PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Problem

Sgt Ret
03-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Hey Guys, I need a little help. I am getting a check engine light and I ran a scan with Auto Enginuity. It gave me two DTC 1482 and 2133. The Sprinter Fault Code Guide says 1482 Pre-glow fault and 2133 Glow plug (R17) Short circuit to voltage(+) or open circuit. Both had a sub type 01. I assume I have a bad glow plug or control unit. Europarts sells a Complete kit for all 2002-2006 five cylinder diesels.
1 x Glow Plug Control Unit (Wehrle)
5 x Glow Plugs  (Beru/BorgWarner)
The control unit is the newest (third revision) and most current version.  It is considerably smaller than the earlier unit and has automatic reset, with no internal fuses to blow. Do you think this is the way to go or should I look for something else?:thinking:

Steady Eddie
03-31-2015, 01:51 PM
The best deal you will find for your Sprinter I think. I just got the control unit myself. Now could someone tell me where #1 cyl is, I can change that glow plug.

lindenengineering
03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Number #1 cylinder it the one right in front of you as you open the hood!

Dennis

dickknapp
03-31-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't think you can trust the fault code diagnosis as to which GP is bad on the T1N - unless the new GP module now accurately reports this. There are several threads - one very long - on changing GPs which include mention of this. I completed a modification of the old GP module which SurlyOldBill and others figured out. My fault codes said #1 GP was bad. It was #2.
Dick

Sgt Ret
03-31-2015, 09:06 PM
So I guess what everyone is saying is to change the glow plugs and the module. It has 69000 miles now and I read somewhere you should change them every 50000 miles.

mendonsy
03-31-2015, 09:39 PM
You can tell which glow plug(s) are bad by measuring the resistance with a VOM. A new glow plug reads 0.71 ohms. They will blow the internal fuse in the glow plug module at about 0.5 ohms. Once the fuse has blown you either have to replace the module or perform SurlyOldBill's glow plug modification to install external fuses.

Sgt Ret
04-01-2015, 12:19 AM
After replacing the glow plugs and module do you have to reset the computer with a scan for the new module or will it do it on it's on?

surlyoldbill
04-01-2015, 03:31 AM
After replacing the glow plugs and module do you have to reset the computer with a scan for the new module or will it do it on it's on?

No

Also:
New module has self-resetting "breakers", so if you have a bad GP, it won't ruin the module.

Sgt Ret
04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
On the new module all the existing plugs work without any changes?

mendonsy
04-01-2015, 11:10 PM
They will work without any changes as long as they are good. Any glow plug that draws more than 20 amps will keep tripping the internal breaker and eventually damage it. You should replace any that have low resistance (0.6 ohms or less).