Aftermarket tuner modules?

You are touching a nerve on this forum when you mention tunes.

To the best of my knowledge there are no tuners that will work on newer model sprinters. They need to be bench flashed. They can not be flashed thru the obd port because of the design of the ecu. The companies that do bench flashing require you to send them you ecu so they can flash it.

wmlog

Oh come on! What a bunch of nay sayers! Go ahead, remove the ECU from your Sprinter and send it to a tuner, then just reinstall it back into your Sprinter when you get it back. How hard can that be? Shouldn't be a problem; after all, I'm sure you'll get a bullet proof warranty from the tuner company.

Just a thought ... what are you going to do when your tuned Sprinter goes into 'limp home mode', or worse, when you are anywhere else than your driveway?

Please let us know how this works out ...

:idunno: :thumbup:

You have road service coverage, don't you?

johnshmit

OP is not talking about tuning. He is asking about a $600 plastic box which doesn't do anything and therefore cannot damage anything, but pride and valet.

Oh come on! What a bunch of nay sayers! Go ahead, remove the ECU from your Sprinter and send it to a tuner, then just reinstall it back into your Sprinter when you get it back. How hard can that be? Shouldn't be a problem; after all, I'm sure you'll get a bullet proof warranty from the tuner company.

Just a thought ... what are you going to do when your tuned Sprinter goes into 'limp home mode', or worse, when you are anywhere else than your driveway?

Please let us know how this works out ...

:idunno: :thumbup:

You have road service coverage, don't you?
Why such a D-Bag response? So if his 08 sprinter goes into limp mode with a stock ecu...what will happen?? His non warranty sprinter is not going to get mercedes roadside. So not much of a difference if it's stock or not.

wmlog

If your ECU is stock, at least it can be worked on by a Sprinter facility. If your tuner is not stock, more than likely you will be shown to the curb.

... just sayin ...

Hey, I was encouraging experimentation ...

You just need to balance all the alternatives ...

:idunno:

Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone refusing to work on a vehicle that has a tune installed. The only way to tell would be if they went into the software and started looking for it. Now they could and probably would refuse to cover fixes under warranty if they find the tune but that totally different than "being shown the curb"

I would think it more likely that they would fix the problem, charge you for the fix and re flash the ecu back to stock.

Last edited:

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
Anyone have experience with the Bully Dog power module? https://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=113

Is the power and fuel economy better or worse than stock?

Any running issues or code problems?

How about any other aftermarket tuners?

I'll add I have a 2008.
BC61,

Give us a call if looking for a full engine tune. We support the 2008 Sprinter and have a very good tune for fuel efficiency and eliminating several of the problem areas on that motor. With a good tune, chances are looking better you will never need the dealer again. All the best.

lockrob

Ace,
It's not that they won't work on your sprinter,or charge you.
The tune I had ,Custom Spooling,prevented ECM from throwing
Codes .
I had the sprinter Tech from the local Mercedes Dealer unable to
Fix my 2007 until I reflashed back to stock.
I would only get a tune if it came with a handheld reflashed that would allow you
To swap tunes in and out by Yourself.

Ace,
It's not that they won't work on your sprinter,or charge you.
The tune I had ,Custom Spooling,prevented ECM from throwing
Codes .
I had the sprinter Tech from the local Mercedes Dealer unable to
Fix my 2007 until I reflashed back to stock.
I would only get a tune if it came with a handheld reflashed that would allow you
To swap tunes in and out by Yourself.
Understood, but what I was arguing was wmlog statement that if you had a tune they would not work on your vehicle.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
The aftermarket modules are not pure snake oil as they do work, after a fashion, but they are limited in what they can accomplish and are far from optimal. For about the same money you can have a true ECU tune from Green Diesel Engineering that will be safer, much more functional, and reversible if necessary for service. This is from one of many satisfied customers.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The aftermarket modules are not pure snake oil as they do work, after a fashion, but they are limited in what they can accomplish and are far from optimal. For about the same money you can have a true ECU tune from Green Diesel Engineering that will be safer, much more functional, and reversible if necessary for service. This is from one of many satisfied customers.
...and just in time for Easter too.

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom