PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed semiautomatic

pengyou
03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
I know that there is a 5 speed semiautomatic for the T1N, but it is not available in the US. Is this because of emission laws, or was it a decision made by MB? Will an I5 with this tranny get much better mileage than the 4spd auto? Have anyone ever put a 2 speed aftermarket OD in a T1N with the I5?

NelsonSprinter
03-24-2015, 02:52 AM
The US and Canada only got the 5 speed Automatic NAG1 transmission with +- shifting, probably for ease of maintenance, durability
http://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/NAG1

Aqua Puttana
03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
... Is this because of emission laws, or was it a decision made by MB? ...
I have no facts.

I have always suspected that only offering a small range of Sprinter engine and transmission options in North America is related to emissions compliance and certification. I assume that each option would require its own certification which would cost more $$$. That said, it may have also been influenced by market research. The automatic transmission is almost assumed in the USA these days.

vic

owner
03-26-2015, 07:10 AM
Its a six speed anyway, called sprintshift. (Also the auto is 5speed not 4). MB did you guys a favour by not providing it there. Its a world of pain and sprintshift vans sell for less than a third of an equivalent auto or manual van for this reason.

david_42
03-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Another big factor is crash testing. You can go through a lot of vehicles because every configuration has to be done. Tesla had to get a waiver from retesting for the Raodster when they put a cover on the glove box.