PDA

View Full Version : Recommended bluetooth scanner modules?

Andy in NH
03-18-2015, 01:16 AM
With problems becoming a bit more frequent, I am considering the addition of one of the Bluetooth code readers to help me keep an eye on things. I get the impression that the Torque app is a favorite for the Android tablet/phone side of things but am curious about people's experience with the relatively cheap (i.e. <$50) OBD2 style readers that are out there like the BAFX or the Ozzy Gear units. Most specifically want to avoid harming anything. Also realize that in this price class it will not be listing every last code. Thoughts?

Tplumbn
03-18-2015, 05:17 AM
While I was trying to decide on a decent scanner and waiting for my new Autel scanner to arrive, I tried out one of those cheap Chinese bluetooth scanners from Amazon. It worked better than my very old Actron unit that I had. While checking out the different Apps available in the Google Playstore, I ran across ans app for Mercedes by iViNi-apps. They do not have the Sprinter listed as covered, but it might be worth looking into. They even have their own device listed on their website. I did not keep all the information as I had already ordered a full scanner.

Jamescell
03-18-2015, 11:15 AM
I have 3 of them and only one with recognize the protocol of my t1n ieGeekŪ WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone iPad iPod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3K2X4M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_7Xvcvb05FZQ0J
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3K2X4M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_7Xvcvb05FZQ0J $17 :). I am using it with a iPhone so I can't say anything about android compatibility or the drive app. I can say that there are a crap load of pids supported and I have no idea what to watch, but it seems much better and cheaper than my friends ultra gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MobileCabin
03-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I have ordered several cheaper ELM based readers from Amazon over the year and returned them all because they did not work. Just received the BAFX model (http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426684450&sr=8-1&keywords=BAFX+Products+-+Bluetooth+OBD2+scan+tool+-+For+check+engine+light+%26+diagnostics+-+Android+ONLY) and it works. Currently running the free version of Torque and have been able to read and reset on my autos, just waiting to try on sprinter.

surlyoldbill
03-18-2015, 03:54 PM
I have a $10 ELM327 clone that works great. I think I bought it on Amazon. I've had it for a year or two.

Andy in NH
03-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Had a chuckle when talking to Carl (Sprinterguy - the mechanic I have followed through 3 dealerships) about monitoring modules. He basically looked at me and said the equivalent of "sorry Andy - your Sprinter has ADA" as in Antique Data Architecture. He explained that the early Sprinters (like mine) would report the minimum of data required via the OBD protocol but that to get the full data you had to access various other modules via other pins on the OBD connector. Long story short - sure you can pull some data but be prepared to look up the p-codes and take everything with a grain of salt as there may be other related codes that will not show up easily. Good to get some real info. Bad that it was accompanied by a diagnosis of a failed EGR unit....

surlyoldbill
03-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Had a chuckle when talking to Carl (Sprinterguy - the mechanic I have followed through 3 dealerships) about monitoring modules. He basically looked at me and said the equivalent of "sorry Andy - your Sprinter has ADA" as in Antique Data Architecture. He explained that the early Sprinters (like mine) would report the minimum of data required via the OBD protocol but that to get the full data you had to access various other modules via other pins on the OBD connector. Long story short - sure you can pull some data but be prepared to look up the p-codes and take everything with a grain of salt as there may be other related codes that will not show up easily. Good to get some real info. Bad that it was accompanied by a diagnosis of a failed EGR unit....

I thought you already knew this....

Andy in NH
03-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Slowly catching up on these things. Is there by any chance a wiki thread that is relevant?

johnshmit
03-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Slowly catching up on these things. Is there by any chance a wiki thread that is relevant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327

surlyoldbill
03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
The DRBIII and the D.A.D. (Dr Andy Diagnostic) are the only scanners I know of that access all of the T1N codes and software/firmware.