BULBASOR gets an Inverter this weekend

BULBASOR

Hi all.

This weekend I expect to take delivery of a Xantrex 1500 watt inverter and a new under cab mount COFFEE MAKER ! ! !

The coffee maker is a marine boat type designed for "rough seas" so I can brew coffee while traveling down the highway (even on a curvy road).

Any Sprinter owners who want to advise me with their horror stories about mounting inverters in their sprinters are welcome to respond.

I plan to mount the inverter right next to the coach battery (within 12 inches) I was going to use #4 cable.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
4GA sounds good, don't forget a fuse to protect the wires.
(you'll have a nasty fire when a 4GA battery cable touches ground)

Leave the battery ground disconnected and you won't have to watch your every move when you're tightening any positive leads with metal tools...

Cheers
George

BULBASOR

Seek,

Did you actually install that under the seat? Did you get a HOT SEAT ? (ha ha) :lol:

I really worry about large DC currents - that's why I want to mount this thing right next to the coach battery - I want to use the least amount of that 4 guage wire as possible. (Man - ! - that's a lot of amperage!)

The coffee maker is going on the OTHER side of the van - so I will be running the AC from one side to the other. BULBASORS coach battery is a deep cycle marine typs mounted in a sealed box with a vent piped to the outside - it's like a coffin - and there must be about 20 "coffin nails" (staimless screws) in the coffin top and it's sealed with a big gasket. (The coach battery is of Sportmobile Design) it is mounted about three feet ahead of the drivers side rear wheel well against the left side of the van on the floor under a big 7 foot couch. _ I'll take pictures.

BULBASOR

SEEK ! !

Where did you guys find a 200 amp 12 volt fuse?? I have tried Pep Boys and Home Depot - nuthin.

What's up with that?

Jrmorgan

Hi all.

This weekend I expect to take delivery of a Xantrex 1500 watt inverter and a new under cab mount COFFEE MAKER ! ! !

The coffee maker is a marine boat type designed for "rough seas" so I can brew coffee while traveling down the highway (even on a curvy road).

Any Sprinter owners who want to advise me with their horror stories about mounting inverters in their sprinters are welcome to respond.

I plan to mount the inverter right next to the coach battery (within 12 inches) I was going to use #4 cable.
OK to day I'm on a roll. Let me get this straight.... you want to brew coffee while traveling down the road? Maybe have a microwave next to it to heat up some bear claws? **** you must have on hell of a cruise control!!!!!! Don't forget to Text Message as you drive ....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BULBASOR

I already text message as a drive - that's what I have a blackberry for - you don't expect me to talk on the cell phone while I drive do you? That's against the law in California.

What's wrong with making coffe on the road? All the truckers I run into at the Flying J's and TA travels centers have them too.

I don't get it - what's so funny?

You think it would be smarter to run a generator to brew my coffee?? (Now THAT would be stupid).

Jrmorgan

I already text message as a drive - that's what I have a blackberry for - you don't expect me to talk on the cell phone while I drive do you? That's against the law in California.

What's wrong with making coffe on the road? All the truckers I run into at the Flying J's and TA travels centers have them too.

I don't get it - what's so funny?

You think it would be smarter to run a generator to brew my coffee?? (Now THAT would be stupid).
Ok I heard a CHP talk on the radio, he say they have been ordered to nail text messengers as well. To me there is no difference between cell phone held to one's ear and to me more dangerous, text messaging.
From your post I get then impression that you will be making coffee as you drive. I find that very suicidal.
Just because a lot of dumb ****'s do it doesn't make it right....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

twistyroad

SEEK ! !
Where did you guys find a 200 amp 12 volt fuse?? I have tried Pep Boys and Home Depot - nuthin.
What's up with that?
Pretty much any store that caters to high-power car audio systems will carry that kind of stuff. Like here...
This same vendor carries fuse holders, wiring, connectors, etc, etc.
Rock

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I really worry about large DC currents - that's why I want to mount this thing right next to the coach battery - I want to use the least amount of that 4 guage wire as possible. (Man - ! - that's a lot of amperage!)
That's why I'm mounting it underneath the passenger seat. That's where the aux battery is and you can't get any shorter DC cable runs than that.

TwistyRoad is right. I had to get my ANL fuses online and they were from some audio dealer.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
OK to day I'm on a roll. Let me get this straight.... you want to brew coffee while traveling down the road? Maybe have a microwave next to it to heat up some bear claws? **** you must have on hell of a cruise control!!!!!! Don't forget to Text Message as you drive ...
Hi JR, maybe you are just teasing but maybe you missed earlier posts by Bulbasor. His wife drives a whole lot while he romps around in the back of the van, playing with his computer, playing parcheesi and Petanque, making coffee.

It's Seek that runs the microwave.

Jrmorgan

Hi JR, maybe you are just teasing but maybe you missed earlier posts by Bulbasor. His wife drives a whole lot while he romps around in the back of the van, playing with his computer, playing parcheesi and Petanque, making coffee.

It's Seek that runs the microwave.

You are saying he "romps" around in the back as the truck is in motion????

Seek is a good cook? well... that should make for some great travels!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

unik

BULBASOR
I did screw my inventor 750watt into driver seat box.:bash:
Connected with +12v 100amps fused wire.
Same model of inventor I did have from 2001 on a minivan. Use to live in Texas at the time.
Found: inventor has to be in coold location, and close to your hand (to switch ON/OFF):professor:

Attachments

BULBASOR

Inverter is in. 1500 watt Xantrex I used only 11 inches of cable #4 from positive terminal to the fuse box (ANL200 gold plated!) and 3 inches from fuse to inverter. #4 to negative and #8 equipment ground. Inverter works great.

For AC I made a 12/3 SO cable that runs out the bottom through the frame and up the passenger side inside the wall right behind the sliding door. I installed an AC outlet marked "INVERTED POWER" and the SO hooks up to outlet on the wall right behind the coffee maker, (marked: INVERTED POWER", or did I already mention that?). Coffee maker is now mounted under cabinet style.

So DC side of inverter is less than 14 inches of #4 welding cable and AC side is 12 feet of 12/3 SO cable. The SO cable has a plug at the end where it plugs into the inverter so under NECA code it's considered temporary power and the outlet box at the other end is an acceptable termination under temp power codes, (Although I mounted it in the wall), but it's still per code.

The inverter is in the compartment where porta potty #2 is, (our BIG potty for long trips). and I can open the cabinet door and turn the inverter off and on.

(Yes we have TWO potties on board).

Last edited:

BULBASOR

I'm trying to figure out some kind of bungee cord thing to hold the steering wheel for me while I'm looking up stuff on the internet or shaving. I already have the 'driving by knee' thing down for when I'm eating, but to get on the internet I need to turn to the side.

I'll figure it out someday while I'm making coffee on interstate 40 I guess.

Top Bottom