PDA

View Full Version : Steering Angle Sensor Reset

BenJohnson
03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
2006 2500. White.

Just had the steering rack replaced. I mistakenly thought the mechanic had a DRB III or something so they could reset the steering angle sensor after the replacement. They did not.

So now I have a van with the ABS/ESP lights on. *sigh*

I tried the turn-the-engine-on and wheel-lock-to-lock trick, but no luck. *sigh*

I have been contemplating the purchase of the AutoEnginuity scanner ST06 with the EI17 mercedes option. Does anyone know if this can reset the steering angle sensor? That would put me over the egde to purchase the thing.

Dealers here are far and few between and totally gouge clients. Really. They will charge me $200 to get the thing reset. They dont read codes for clients. Nope. They'll do the work, but wont tell you the codes. Really. baturds.

Aqua Puttana
03-15-2015, 04:37 PM
I can't answer your question.

Interestingly the Steering Angle Sensor is found in Section 5 Brakes in my manuals.

For general information:

The Steering Angle Sensor is used to measure rate/
speed and direction of the steering wheel. This sensor
has 4 wires 12V, ground and 2 CAN Bus circuits.
This sensor is wired directly to the CAN Bus. This
sensor has to be programmed using the DRB IIIt
(Fig. 5).
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect the battery.
(2) Remove the airbag (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/
RESTRAINTS/AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE -
REMOVAL).
(3) Remove the steering wheel (Refer to 19 -
STEERING/COLUMN/STEERING WHEEL -
REMOVAL).
(4) Remove the front cover (Fig. 6).
(5) Remove the upper and lower steering column
covers (Fig. 6).
(6) Remove the clockspring (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/
RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - REMOVAL)
(Fig. 6).
(7) Disconnect the electrical connector from the
steering angle sensor (Fig. 6).
(8) Remove the steering angle sensor (Fig. 6).
INSTALLATION
NOTE: The installation position of the steering
angle sensor must have the plug connection at the
bottom (Fig. 6).
(1) Install the steering angle sensor to the column
(Fig. 6).
(2) Reconnect the electrical connector to the steering
angle sensor (Fig. 6).
(3) Install the clockspring (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/
RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - INSTALLATION)
(Fig. 6).
(4) Install the upper and lower steering column
covers (Fig. 6).
(5) Install the front cover (Fig. 6).
(6) Install the steering wheel (Refer to 19 -
STEERING/COLUMN/STEERING WHEEL -
INSTALLATION).
(7) Install the airbag (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/
RESTRAINTS/AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE -
INSTALLATION).
(8) Reconnect the battery.
(9) Recalibrate the steering angle sensor using the
scan tool.

They are referring to the DRBIII Dodge dealership scan tool.

You might look into the Star clones reverse engineered mostly from China. I believe I've seen them down in the 300 buck range. Reports are that they work well, but cannot be updated from the version you buy. (Update is not necessary for most DIY types.) There are STAR DAS threads here which a search from the blue bar above should find.

Sorry I can't offer more. vic

lindenengineering
03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
2006 2500. White.

Just had the steering rack replaced. I mistakenly thought the mechanic had a DRB III or something so they could reset the steering angle sensor after the replacement. They did not.

So now I have a van with the ABS/ESP lights on. *sigh*

I tried the turn-the-engine-on and wheel-lock-to-lock trick, but no luck. *sigh*

I have been contemplating the purchase of the AutoEnginuity scanner ST06 with the EI17 mercedes option. Does anyone know if this can reset the steering angle sensor? That would put me over the egde to purchase the thing.

Dealers here are far and few between and totally gouge clients. Really. They will charge me $200 to get the thing reset. They dont read codes for clients. Nope. They'll do the work, but wont tell you the codes. Really. baturds.

Ben
I have looked at the E1117 bundle. The yaw and longitudinal is included as claimed so you should be OK!
See:-

Reset Oil Service (ASSYST Plus-based models)
Reset Oil Service ('03 and earlier with FSS only) and CLS (219), E (211), GL, GLK, and ML (164) and R Class (251)
Reset Service Interval ('03 and earlier with FSS only)
Reset General Maintenance (ICM for 204 and X204)
Power Window Denormalization for DCM and LCP controllers
SBC Deactivation and SBC Activation
Rodeo, Pitch, Roll, and Move Towards Calibrated Level functions (ABC, ABC221, and ABC230)
Reset Sensor and Mixture Adaptation (ME2.8)
Reset ECU
Reset Adaptation Values, Cold Start Adaptation Values, and Activate Fuel Pump (ME9.7)
Learn Throttle Valve Stop, Teach-In Ethanol Portion, and Reset Ethanol Teach-In Processes (ME9.7)
Normalizing of Positioning Motors and Break-In of AC Compressor support for ML and GL Class (164), C Class (204), and R Class (251)
Seat Adjustment Motor Actuators Normalization for ESA controllers
Reset Quantity Mean Value Adaptation Data (CDI2 - CDI5)
Re-Initialization of AdBlue Range (CDI6)
Reset Transmission Adaptations (EGS52, EGS53, and VGS2)
Wheel ID Registration for E Class(207,212), GLK / GL / ML Class (164), and S Class (221)
Teach-In Component Yaw Rate and Longitudinal Sensor B24/15 (212)

Complete list of systems coverage:

Mercedes-specific systems

See an example of coverage:

Mercedes B200 '05
Mercedes CL55 '04
Mercedes CL600 '02
Mercedes C230 '04
Mercedes C230 AMG '05
Mercedes C Class '08
Mercedes CLK Class '98 - '03 (208)
Mercedes CLK320 '05
Mercedes CLK350 '06
Mercedes CLK550 '08
Mercedes CLS500 '06
Mercedes E300 CDI '06
Mercedes E320 '01
Mercedes E320 '03
Mercedes E350 '09 CDI
Mercedes E Class '10 - '12 (212)
Mercedes E500 '03
Mercedes E Class '07
Mercedes GLK Class '06 - '12
Mercedes G500 '03
Mercedes GL500 '07
Mercedes GL450 '07
Mercedes G55 '08
Mercedes M270 CDI2 '03
Mercedes ML350 '05
Mercedes M Class '10
Mercedes R500 '07
Mercedes SL500 '01
Mercedes SL Class '05 - '11 (R230)
Mercedes SLK 32 AMG '03
Mercedes SLK320 '03
Mercedes SLK350 '07
Mercedes S500 '00
Mercedes S550 '08
Mercedes S430 '04
Mercedes Sprinter '01-'06 (905)
Mercedes Sprinter '07-'13 (906)
Mercedes Viano '04 CDI
Mercedes Viano CDI '08-'11 (639)

Yes dealing with dealerships at times can be frustrating but you have to understand their position in the marketplace versus us Independents .

I was always brought up to understand that us Pro mechanics were problem solvers not problem makers !
There lies the void in these modern times!
Best of luck
Dennis

BenJohnson
03-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Great info guys - thanks for the help! I shall investigate...

BenJohnson
03-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Hi Dennis,

From what I read, the yaw rate and longitudinal sensor are separate from the steering angle sensor. For example:

See http://www.autobodynews.com/columnists/item/4811-understanding-%E2%80%98yaw-rate%E2%80%99-and-the-%E2%80%98steering-angle-sensor%E2%80%99.html

Regardless, I have sent a note to AutoEnginuity to see if they have the ability to teach the steering angle sensor.

lindenengineering
03-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Ben
Hi you have basically a highlighted the differences in scanners.
The professional stuff we use simply asks us for the vehicle info and input the yaw and length info and its done. Its all about speed of getting adaption and bi directional diagnostics. Back to time is money !

I bet there will be something similar in the program or you will have to take some extra steps to get adaption.
The tool you are interested in is for the entry level mechanic or good DIY'r.
I chose my words carefully by using should work, you are right to inquire about what you you about to buy.

As a comparison take a look at this :
http://www.autolandscientech.com/v2009/multinational/product_a1.php

Then go here:-
http://www.autolandscientech.com/v2009/multinational/product_a2.php

There is one for sale in San Diego used for 4 K on Craigs list
Not your budget but it clearly demonstrates the ease of repair when using Pro equipment.
Best of luck
Dennis
ps give us an update in what Autoenginuity come back with! Mighty curious I am!
D

NORTON
03-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Wis document ar46.10-d-0300a states to - recalibrate steering angle sensor - with Star Diagnosis when refitting sensor, possibly a DAD could do it if one was available in your area.
I would not have thought it would need to be removed.

BenJohnson
03-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Just got a reply back from AutoEnginuity - they are not able to do the steering angle reset at this time.

I did manage to find a local independant shop who used to service the older T1N sprinter fleets. I'll get them to reset it. I am not a fan of the local mercedes outfit.

MercedesGenIn
03-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi there,
Just check the brake light switch under the dash above the pedal box. There is an outside chance it was disturbed when they uncoupled the column. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a simple fix!
All the best
Steve

Aqua Puttana
07-29-2017, 10:55 AM
The DRBIII procedure. Thanks goes to Autostaretx Dick. :thumbup:

The service manual that covers the Steering Angle calibration a bit better is the "Chassis" manual.
For 2006: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-Chassis.pdf

Here's part of page 70:
Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, erase DTCs.
With the DRBIIIt, recalculate the Steering Angle Sensor.
Move the Steering Wheel from stop to stop several times.
With the DRBIIIt, perform the road test procedure.
With the DRBIIIt, read DTCs.
and
NOTE: When the vehicle is in a turn, the ESP compares the Steering Angle Sensor value and the speed of the inner and outer wheels to determine if the values are plausible.
One of the diagnostic issues can be if the steering angle sensor reports a value greater than 720 degrees (two full turns).

--dick

Aqua Puttana
08-09-2017, 01:02 AM
iCarsoft apparently will work.

Thanks goes to Doug022984. :thumbup:

Success. Was able to reset steering angle sensor. Although it wasn't quite as easy as I hoped. Using the BENZ menu as others noted, I used the "automatic" function to detect my vehicle and determine the test, which was a road test. After several attempts to follow the instructions of the road test, it kept telling me it was "unsuccessful". I hoped it was just maybe my neighborhood didn't provide the adequate tight turns. So I went to a parking lot and did figure eights and many turns to make sure it registered full turns. This provided a different result with an error code, but an indication that the test at least "completed". However, my ABS ESP lights didn't extinguish.

I then tried "manual selection" which provided an option for a sprinter. This test only required me to turn the steering wheel to straight ahead and press calibrate. After several button pushes on each of the four statuses saying calibrated at 0 deg, the ABS and ESP lights went out and stayed out with a key cycle. Note this test didn't actually require any driving.