PDA

View Full Version : Can I service the thermostat or is it due for a new one?

Tooth Fairy
03-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Good afternoon everyone.

I think my thermostat in the t1n might be buggered, how hot should the engine sit at after a run at 100ks per hour?

Mine takes ages to get warm, like 25 minutes and then some times it seems just too hot.

Can I service the thermostat or is it due for a new one? :idunno:

lindenengineering
03-15-2015, 01:27 AM
Al yes bung in a new 'un!
Don't forget to wash off the radiator /condenser matrixes especially the dead zone behind the A/C fan motor hub.

I don't know about where you are Down Under but here in the western US, flies and grass hopper guts needs washing off fairly often.

By the way the t/stat comes as a unit in a housing. A doddle to install for a trash truck Mech:thumbup:
Cheers Dennis

Tooth Fairy
03-15-2015, 03:11 AM
Thanks Dennis, Ill get a new one.
I was just a bit bemused by the price thats all, a standard thermostat costs $20, one for the Benz costs $150..........:wtf:

Not to worry.
I have to have it fitted by next weekend as the following weekend Im taking 10 days off to travel part of the south coast of Aus.....:thumbup:

Ill order one now off Ebay.

We have a plethora of bugs here, you name it we have it.
Every second year we have a locust plague, they make a terrible mess.

lindenengineering
03-15-2015, 04:16 AM
Thanks Dennis, Ill get a new one.
I was just a bit bemused by the price thats all, a standard thermostat costs $20, one for the Benz costs $150..........:wtf:

Not to worry.
I have to have it fitted by next weekend as the following weekend Im taking 10 days off to travel part of the south coast of Aus.....:thumbup:

Ill order one now off Ebay.

We have a plethora of bugs here, you name it we have it.
Every second year we have a locust plague, they make a terrible mess.

Crikey
That's a bit bloody pricey mate!
They are about $75 US here were something like $90 but have come down.

Yes I am well aware of the bugs & wild life of Oz!
Some fellow Englishman a while a back asked me if there were dangerous animals in the US?--I answered well a few!--mostly have two legs! :laughing:
BUT you should go Down Under--the Auzzies have stuff-- they'll eat you alive FFS mate !

Or that freaking talcum powder like dust that grinds stuff away even Old Leylands weren't immune!
Where are you going on your trip curious!:thinking:
Cheers Dennis

Tooth Fairy
03-15-2015, 04:46 AM
Crikey
That's a bit bloody pricey mate!
They are about $75 US here were something like $90 but have come down.

Where are you going on your trip curious!:thinking:
Cheers Dennis

Yes everything is twice the price here :thumbdown: and thats for a non genuine one too,I can get one from ol Blighty for $60 but it wont be here on time.

The trip will be going down the Great Ocean Rd in Victoria and on to Robe in South Australia, I tried to create a Google map but it spat the dummy, you can Google the route though.

lindenengineering
03-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Gotcha Mate
https://www.google.com/search?q=great+ocean+road+victoria+map&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&imgil=UYlgtVvqFYp-XM%253A%253B5EGv_pF7Zk-9iM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.driveaustrali a.com.au%25252Fsuggested-routes%25252Fresults%25252Flocation%25252Fvictoria %25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=UYlgtVvqFYp-XM%253A%252C5EGv_pF7Zk-9iM%252C_&usg=__RdWlnJPlvYGz5oFQuZ4AqMiE3h4%3D&dpr=1&ved=0CDEQyjc&ei=BA8FVZuBBtfSoASMmYAI#imgdii=_&imgrc=SQDNgSwULsyHWM%253A%3BfSTQi3qoC8HdxM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Ff.tqn.com%252Fy%252Fstudenttravel%25 2F1%252FS%252FH%252FN%252Fgreat-ocean-road-map.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstudenttravel.about.c om%252Fod%252Faustralianroadtrips%252Fss%252Fgreat _ocean_roa_2.htm%3B605%3B371

Looks like its going to be fun!
Have a safe one and enjoy--no trash trucks! Stay away from 'em.
Last time I went down to Costa Rica on a beach holday I ended up helping local Nicaraguan mech fix a Sprinter for a tourist taxi service !.
Got right bollocking from the missus--American style!:frown:
Enjoy & Cheers
Dennis

Tooth Fairy
03-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Dennis, do you put any flange sealer on the contacting faces of the thermostat or is the o ring sufficient?

skydiver007
03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
In my 2005 the thermostat is actually removable from the housing but I could not track down the actual thermostat part. It did have a number on it, but I could not find it online.

Mine ran up to 210F in the summer and my radiator developed a leak around the fill tube so I replaced the radiator and water pump. Now she wont go above 190F.

Not sure why MERC makes you replace the whole unit.

I live in NASCAR country and a common thing to do here is drill a small hole in the thermostat diaphragm to always allow a little water to get through to handle overheating and a lot of thermostats have a small hole with a check valve for freezing protection.

Some people simply remove the thermostat if they never see freezing temps. I haven't tried that on my 05.

Cheyenne
03-16-2015, 01:00 PM
From my previous experience as a cooling system designer for a major UK manufacturer I would not advise removing the thermostat completely.

It serves two functions, the first and most obvious is opening the flow to the radiator above a pre-set temperature but the second, and not so obvious, is that it normally closes the bypass route.
Think about it, the pump pumps the whole time the engine is running so if you merely closed the stat then where would the flow go when the stat was closed? To overcome this you add a bypass but this will rob flow from the radiator when the stat is open so you make the stat shut the bypass as it opens the flow to the rad, simple really!

So if you remove the stat then you cannot shut the bypass and it will rob flow from the rad as the coolant will take the route of least resistance, in this case the bypass.

Overall this will lead to very poor warm up (not good for a diesel) and may also lead to overheating (even worse for a diesel).

Hope this all makes sense,
Keith.

lindenengineering
03-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Dennis, do you put any flange sealer on the contacting faces of the thermostat or is the o ring sufficient?

Al
If the head face isn't marred then just install it the seal ring should suffice.
No need for "gobwhack" as an old RN mechanic I used to work with as a kid (apprentice) would say!
Cheers Dennis