Hide a key ?

Go with velcro or zip tie, rather than magnetic attachment, more holding power, less likely to bounce off in rough road driving.

mlts22

There is the Hitch Safe that can be used to stuff a key inside the hitch receiver. This not only provides a hiding place (since the lock has a nondescript cap on it)... but also a four digit combination lock. On my current ride, I have a non-chipped key in there (since the small drawer isn't big enough for a regular one), then inside my rig, I have a strongbox that is bolted down, where I keep a real key.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I took one of my older FOBs and put it in a hide a key box, it would not fit so I duct taped it shut. A couple of weeks ago, the T1N locked up on my helper when it was -15 below 0 out of the blue, while they were warming it up, key was in the ignition. Called me, and I told them where the key was hidden, the empty filler kneck on the passenger side of the T1Ns makes a nice crevice.

chromisdesigns

There is the Hitch Safe that can be used to stuff a key inside the hitch receiver. This not only provides a hiding place (since the lock has a nondescript cap on it)... but also a four digit combination lock. On my current ride, I have a non-chipped key in there (since the small drawer isn't big enough for a regular one), then inside my rig, I have a strongbox that is bolted down, where I keep a real key.
I was interested until I read the Amazon reviews about rusting in place and that thieves gave gotten wise to this on the coast. Apparently a chisel and hand hammer gets the in fast, by punching the cover in.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I was interested until I read the Amazon reviews about rusting in place and that thieves gave gotten wise to this on the coast. Apparently a chisel and hand hammer gets the in fast, by punching the cover in.
That is a good reason not to make it obvious.

surlyoldbill

There are a couple good places for a magnetic hide a key on the Sprinter; places where the magnet alone isn't holding it from falling. I used to zip-tie a key under my pickups, because I would rarely need to use a spare key.

chromisdesigns

There are a couple good places for a magnetic hide a key on the Sprinter; places where the magnet alone isn't holding it from falling. I used to zip-tie a key under my pickups, because I would rarely need to use a spare key.
After a lot of looking, I found a mechanically secure place for a magnetic box that I am reasonably comfortable wouldn't be found except in an extended search by a pro, maybe not even then but given long enough pros can find anything you can hide.

No details obviously.

surlyoldbill

After a lot of looking, I found a mechanically secure place for a magnetic box that I am reasonably comfortable wouldn't be found except in an extended search by a pro, maybe not even then but given long enough pros can find anything you can hide.

No details obviously.
Might be the same place I found. It would require the Braille Method to find it.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Why doesn't everybody take a picture of where they hide their keys? Please post along with your license plate numbers and home address.:lol::idunno::crazy:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I broke this oneimage.jpg pulling in driveway.

Flimsy,
I advise to not use this type.

[:2cents: ]

powbass

Finding a spot to place the hide a key box is not the problem. The problem is getting a key to :dripsarcasm:put in the box. Where do you get a duplicate single flat key made? I tried MB dealer no luck.:cheers:

powbass

Finding a spot to place the hide a key box is not the problem. The problem is getting a key to put in the box. Where do you get a duplicate single flat key made? I tried MB dealer no luck.:cheers:

Onefin

I tried a couple different sprinter dealers to make me a "regular" normal flat key that would open the door.
Nobody had any clue what the key would look like, if it would just be a blade from a regular fancy sprinter flip key, or a regular normal old school key. They seemed to be worth more than $50 to the dealer.
I needed this for a key to wear around my neck on a string when I am surfing.
Keep the full set of keys in car and just use the "surf key" to lock and unlock drivers door.
So I used one of my 4 (two additional masters" and tied it around my neck......they are not waterproof for those that care.
Bulky and annoying, but I am not spending $50 on a key, and I can't fathom why I need 4 keys to one vehicle.
I much prefer a normal key.....new cars are overly complicated.
The hide a key and lockbox just means rolling around in a wetsuit looking for a key.....tried and was over it .

surlyoldbill

Finding a spot to place the hide a key box is not the problem. The problem is getting a key to :dripsarcasm:put in the box. Where do you get a duplicate single flat key made? I tried MB dealer no luck.:cheers:
I had one cut at a local Ace Hardware for $5. You don't need a microchipped key, just a plain old key to open the door to retrieve the microchipped key you locked inside.

Top Bottom