PDA

View Full Version : Mystery plug, any idea's ?

Nigel
03-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I've just replaced my auxilliary drive belt, I removed the radiator and intercooler as the radiator was clogged up with bugs. I was also going to replace the thermostat as I was under the impression it was stuck open.

The first thing I find is that there is no plug plugged into the thermostat housing, despite a search I couldn't locate any sign of the lead.

What I did find was a lead/plug that seems to go nowhere, it's the blue one in the pic. My first thought was that it was the missing lead but there seems no way that this is the one due to it's position..

Any idea's folks? though I'm more confused as to why there is no lead to the thermostat housing.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s644/T12TD5/Sprinter/Sprinter001.jpg_zpsmmm9twzs.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/T12TD5/media/Sprinter/Sprinter001.jpg_zpsmmm9twzs.jpg.html)

surlyoldbill
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Water sensor connection for fuel filters that use them?

Nigel
03-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Water sensor connection for fuel filters that use them?

Quite possibly, it would be in the right place. Doesn't look if it's ever been connected nor is there anywhere to plug it in.

surlyoldbill
03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
The water sensor twists into the bottom of the fuel filter, and there is a vlavle on the side to drain water. YOUR filter doesn't have either of these as far as I can tell. Here in the States, the sensor version was standard, and some people have opted to go with a filter like yours to remove a couple areas known to allow air into the fuel lines. When they do that, they let the wires dangle. I don't know if UK Sprinters offered a water sensor equipped fuel filter system, but that's what it looks like to me. Tape it up to keep dirt out. I suspect the actual sensor got tossed with a fuel filter, whoever changed it didn't know it was supposed to be removed and used on the next filter.

Nigel
03-04-2015, 04:24 PM
The water sensor twists into the bottom of the fuel filter, and there is a vlavle on the side to drain water. YOUR filter doesn't have either of these as far as I can tell. Here in the States, the sensor version was standard, and some people have opted to go with a filter like yours to remove a couple areas known to allow air into the fuel lines. When they do that, they let the wires dangle. I don't know if UK Sprinters offered a water sensor equipped fuel filter system, but that's what it looks like to me. Tape it up to keep dirt out. I suspect the actual sensor got tossed with a fuel filter, whoever changed it didn't know it was supposed to be removed and used on the next filter.

Thanks for clearing that up Bill, next job is to find out why there is no lead to the thermostat housing :rolleyes:

NelsonSprinter
03-04-2015, 06:28 PM
My guess the plug is for the temp sensor, it just got pushed under the filter during a filter change, and might go to the temp sensor if repositioned

Eric Experience
03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Nigel
If your temperature gauge is working you do not need the plug into the thermistor. If you temp gauge is not working then the wire must be tucked in there somewhere. the plug in the picture is for the water sensor. You have the wrong hose clamps on the fuel filter, those screw clamps will leak air when the motor is hot, this will lead to hard starting. Eric

Nigel
03-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Nigel
If your temperature gauge is working you do not need the plug into the thermistor. If you temp gauge is not working then the wire must be tucked in there somewhere. the plug in the picture is for the water sensor. You have the wrong hose clamps on the fuel filter, those screw clamps will leak air when the motor is hot, this will lead to hard starting. Eric

Eric, the hose clamps are the one's on the vehicle when I bought it, but as you point out they are the wrong one's so I'll change them. However despite sub zero temperatures the van always starts on the turn of the key, as for heat, it's not something we have to worry about here in the UK!

The temperature gauge does work (of sorts) but only reaches 45c at best, either the thermostat is stuck open, the gauge is faulty or I need to plug something in. Work is not progressing well as I have to work outside and the windchill is around 1c today, but I need to get on with it one way or another. Thanks for your input.

Aqua Puttana
03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Not that anyone asked...

As long as you aren't having problems I would buy the new clamps to have on hand, replace them once the weather improves into much higher temperatures. Disturbing things may result in problems. Especially when all the parts are very cold.

:2cents: vic

shortshort
03-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Eric, the hose clamps are the one's on the vehicle when I bought it, but as you point out they are the wrong one's so I'll change them. However despite sub zero temperatures the van always starts on the turn of the key, as for heat, it's not something we have to worry about here in the UK!

The temperature gauge does work (of sorts) but only reaches 45c at best, either the thermostat is stuck open, the gauge is faulty or I need to plug something in. Work is not progressing well as I have to work outside and the windchill is around 1c today, but I need to get on with it one way or another. Thanks for your input.

Don't be a big hurry to change those clamps. I've been using the same set of screw clamps for 250K miles with filter changes every 20k. No issues.

Eric Experience
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Nigel.
As others have said leave the clamps until the next filter change in your climate you can get away with that. Being the early model with the filter up high it does not suffer from heat soak. The temp gauge must have another thermistor, it has to be on the head near the thermostat. It is the only sensor that has only one wire going to it. Does the gauge move as you go up and down hills? You probably have the heater on flat out, that can cool your motor if you only do short drives. Eric.

stroud_omnibus
03-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi Nigel,

Looks as though the fuel filter has been changed for the wrong one. That plug is for the water trap sensor and will show as a red triangle in the middle of the rocker switch located below the heater knobs if there's water in the filter. Water can then be drained off via the trap without the need to replace the filter.

There are two filters available, one for the trap and one without. When changing the filter, the trap has to be unscrewed and fitted to the new one and then that plug can be pushed in. The filters don't come with a water trap so you may need to buy one.

Hope this helps!

Nigel
03-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks again for all the help guys but I've decided this one needs to go, not just as a result of the problems I've had with it but it's too small. My last sprinter was a 413cdi LWB twin wheeler, I was offered silly money for it and weakened.......... bad move. Once this one's gone I'll be looking for a T1N around the year 2005/6, plenty of the newer one's available for next to no money but all suffer (seamingly) from major mechanical failures. I saw a 2010 Sprinter recently for 1,700, beautiful condition but major mechanical problems (engine). Good T1N's are making good money here in the UK, I imagine it's pretty much the same across the pond?

Eric Experience
03-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Nigel.
Sounds like you have the same exploding motors we have in Australia. You can read about them in the Australian section under "315 exploding motors" you can get a cheap vehicle and fit an oil pressure gauge to monitor the situation. Eric.