PDA

View Full Version : Quick Antenna Question

willrwilli
02-26-2015, 06:14 AM
I have a 2003 sprinter that had no radio in it when I bought it. When I installed a new unit I never installed an am/fm antenna. I now found a used factory antenna and want to know how to hook up the extra wire. Is this just a wire that can be connected to 12 volt power? And can this wire be connected to the antenna wire coming from the new head unit?

Oldfartt
02-26-2015, 06:34 AM
yes connect the separate wire to a source of ignition 12v.

Cheers

Ross

autostaretx
02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
yes connect the separate wire to a source of ignition 12v.
The original MB radios worked with the ignition off, so how you hook it depends upon how/when your radio operates.
Some radios have a "12v out" pin available (so it's turned off when the radio is turned off)

The power only affects the AM antenna, not the FM (if i recall correctly)

--dick

willrwilli
02-28-2015, 04:20 AM
cool just wanted to make sure.

DesmoDave
02-28-2015, 06:01 AM
The original MB radios worked with the ignition off, so how you hook it depends upon how/when your radio operates.
Some radios have a "12v out" pin available (so it's turned off when the radio is turned off)

The power only affects the AM antenna, not the FM (if i recall correctly)

--dick

I just replace the head unit in mine, and the FM worked OK, but when I wanted to listen to AM on a long drive, I found it was nearly non-functional. I don't recall that the old head unit had the power antenna lead connected, so I never did it with the new one. Can someone tell me what color I should be looking for in the stock loom in a 2004? THX!