Won't rev past 3200rpm

Bacchus51

I have a 2001 208cdi with 2.2l turbo that won't rev past about 3200rpm in all gears. It is throwing up fault code P1188 which is fuel shut off for the 3rd stage of the high pressure fuel pump. Before I spend big money on a new pump or ECU I would like to know if anyone else has had this and the cure for same. It is a NZ model and does not have EGR valve or catalytic converter.
The engine starts first time, no smoke and drives perfectly up to 3200rpm or thereabouts where it feels like it's starving for fuel.
I previously renewed the thermostat with temp sensor, turbo actuator vacuum valve when I thought it may be a turbo problem.
Since then I retrieved the fault code P1188 and guessed it may be the high pressure fuel temp sensor which I also renewed. Also checked continuity between fuel temp sensor, fuel shutoff solenoid, fuel pressure sensors (high and low) to the ECU and all OK. There was minor corrosion on ECU terminals which I've cleaned.
Previous owner gave it a full service, removed turbo and checked it and renewed manifold O rings, also a new fuel filter 3000km ago.
Checked all hoses for leaks. Starting to run out of ideas.Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Dennis

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
Just had similar problem on our 2005 208cdi fault was split in intake hose.Just felt gutless bit of smoke at highest revs, goes like stink now though.

Bacchus51

My van is an ex rental camper. Is it possible that the rental company deliberately set the 3rd stage of high pressure pump so as not to give full power as a governor on their vehicles. The van drives perfectly but wont rev. Still capable of going past our open road speed limit of 100kph. The old fella who owned the van before me did not even know he had a problem.

Bacchus51

The problem is now fixed. The 3rd stage of the high pressure fuel pump was not functioning. Crimping the terminals on the connectors at the computer seemed to have fixed it but alas the problem kept coming back. Needed to look further, knowing the previous repair showed a temporary fix so the computer was removed and the terminals were re-soldered on the computer's circuit board. FIXED :rad:

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

Interesting. This is one of those times where the DTC Diagnostic Trouble Code was spot on, but it took some effort to reveal the actual problem.

So cold solder joints of the hardware to the circuit board/traces were the entire problem?

Good job tracking it down.

vic

Top Bottom